Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL zoom - We make a small 3-bet late position with A8s - any ideas what they have?

Old
2NL zoom - We make a small 3-bet late position with A8s - any ideas what they have? - Sat Aug 23, 2014, 03:51 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
This is a should I play A8s or not, so 3-bet pre. Then check through QJ9 (no suit) in position - bluff at that board? I nearly felt obligated to c-bet but didn't.

We hit turn T, a straight Q-8 this is not that good! But why, when I raise "I have a hand", do I get two callers? So river K. We now chop to Ace high, do we bet? No value maybe 67 calls.

Fun 1c/2c thinking too much.

Old
Sat Aug 23, 2014, 05:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2012
Checking back the nuts?!

Just shove the river and hope that one of them is bad enough to think "look at this idiot trying to take the pot when it's obviously a split pot" and call you with 67, if caller also have an A, you still win something.

Thats my opinion on this, maybe it would be better to make a thin value bet of about 0.25c, that way villains will call more often to make chop, maybe even try to bluff, whatever you do is IMO better than check on the river.

Last edited by Nishkey; Sat Aug 23, 2014 at 05:32 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 23, 2014, 09:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Forrest!

When you have the nuts on the river and are last to act, especially live, you absolutely must bet and cannot check. If you'd do this live, you'll get a penalty for soft play.

Bet whatever you think the opp will call.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 23, 2014, 05:41 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Thanks guys, for pointing that out.

Didn't realise I had the nuts and had to bet. Looking at the chop and one of the villains must have an Ace.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com