Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hotter $3.30 turbo, Can I shove?

Old
Hotter $3.30 turbo, Can I shove? - Sun Aug 24, 2014, 07:41 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
This is Hotter $3.30 turbo game with 5mins blind level.

Can I shove this hand over the limp?
What are the hands that qualify for shove here?

Old
Mon Aug 25, 2014, 07:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey Adi,

By the stack sizes and blind level I guess the tourney is in it's early/middle stages (you are still far from the money)
Now, if that is true consider this : you are invited to join for free so why risking more (you are not very strong yourself here). Check and evaluate the flop, you have a hand that flops good.
Shoving even with AA in this spot is not a value move, because the limpers don't like that, and they limp all crazy stuff that will fold to such an aggressive move. By no means you should limp behind with AA but I will raise maybe make it 600 (if I am called I can shove any flop - by the time I raise I have this in mind with my stack).
With KK,QQ,JJ I guess it's the same (raise smaller, min raise even) if no over cards drop on the flop, pull the trigger. If overcards do make an appearance hmm, it gets tricky, you need to evaluate on your opp action and your reads.

Regards

Old
Mon Aug 25, 2014, 09:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi adi

We can shove the QJo profitably because of the ante's. Villain will fold quite often and you have a good amount of equity against the hands he calls with. I would cram in 109s/QJ+/Ax/any pair. You will get called by better hands quite often but it's +ev none the less.

Cheers, Chris.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Old
Tue Aug 26, 2014, 05:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoim View Post
Now, if that is true consider this : you are invited to join for free so why risking more (you are not very strong yourself here). Check and evaluate the flop, you have a hand that flops good.
By shoving, we have a low-risk way of winning a pot of 725 chips (increasing our stack by 1/3) without having to see a flop. This is because the villain will usually be limp/folding. When he decides to call with his 66 or A3o or whatever we are still only a slight underdog anyway.

By checking we are choosing to play passively out of position with a hand that will not flop a made hand 2/3 of the time. This sounds like much harder work than the first option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoim View Post
Shoving even with AA in this spot is not a value move, because the limpers don't like that, and they limp all crazy stuff that will fold to such an aggressive move.
This reinforces what I said above.

If we had AA here, shoving would be fine but like you say, we could get more value by raising smaller and basically getting all in on any flop.

The range Chris gives for jamming here sounds about right to me.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com