Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Big $8.80 Tornament, Victim of Fancy Play Syndrome

Old
Big $8.80 Tornament, Victim of Fancy Play Syndrome - Mon Aug 25, 2014, 03:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
This is Big $8.80 10mins regular blind level game.

I want to know what's the best play offcourse folding to 3-bet is best if he hadn't played FPS poker.

So on this flop should I donk or should I check-call if he is betting some normal amount like 1/2 or 2/3 pot, etc or should I check-shove?

I would have mucked this hand if he hadn't made stupid 3-bet preflop. Now once he pot the flop there is no way I can call I had to shove there as my SPR will be low after I call his flop bet. Pot will be 2550 on the turn and I will have 2000 left in my stack.

STATS :

Old
Mon Aug 25, 2014, 08:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With AQo, I make a standard opening raise to 200, then get 3-bet by a loose/passive opp. The key here is the opp type. While the opp is loose, they actually raise. When loose/passive's raise, they're going to have a hand and due to this, I'm folding to their 3-bet. They only 3-bet 3% of the time and AQ against this range is a HUGE 2-1 underdog. Due to this, I need to muck to the 3-bet.

If for some reason I saw the flop (which I would not), when I flop TPTK and a nut flush draw, I absolutely need to lead this flop and make a standard 1/2 pot value bet and if the opp shoves, I absolutely have the correct pot odds to go all-in. If I see this flop, my chips ARE going in the middle.

The key in this hand is a read of the opp that they are loose/passive. This opp type calls and calls and calls and when they raise, especially a 3-bet, this needs to sound every alarm in the building.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 26, 2014, 05:51 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I have to disagree with John a bit here.

Preflop we're getting better than 6:1 on a call vs villain's 3Bet. Even if he turned his cards over and showed us KK, it would still be a mistake to fold IMO.

I see these min 3Bets quite a bit in these games, and I don't usually give them much credit. Now it depends on the villain but fairly often these small raises reflect the strength of their hand. Typically in my experience this sort of raise is done with stuff like suited or non-suited connectors, raggy Ax, some broadway combos.

However with this villain playing 35/7, I'd be a bit more worried that he might be trying to trap. I wouldn't really read too much into his 3Bet percentage as it's based on a tiny sample.

Postflop I think both John's line and Adi's line have merit, I'm not sure which is preferable.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com