Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Dealing with River donk bet !

Old
Dealing with River donk bet ! - Tue Aug 26, 2014, 07:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
This is Big $8.80 10mins regular blind level game. 1st hand of the game so table is full of calling stations and loose players.

What does this river donk suggests ? Can I call it

Hands that beat me: A with better kicker, 9x that made trips or 44 that made full house.

Hands that I beat: Busted flush draw, some air hands that choose to donk on river for no reason like TT,77,66, etc.

Old
Tue Aug 26, 2014, 09:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With A7o, when it folds to me in the cutoff, I'm going to make a standard opening raise.

I flop top pair bad kicker with two opps and when they check to me, I'm going to make a standard 2/3 pot value bet of 120.

The turn should be a blank and the opp checks to me again. I'm going to check behind here for pot control. If I knew I was ahead, I'd make a 1/2 pot bet, but I can easily be behind here too, due to my kicker or the opp hitting two pair.

The river pairs the 9 and the passive opp now bombs the river! When passive (calling stationy) opps make big bets, they're basically always for value. Due to this, the opp has 9x here basically every time and I need to fold.

The key in this hand is to recognize the type of opp that we're up against. If they check the river, we're most likely good, but when a stationy player bets... Ax, even AK is not ahead here and needs to be mucked. I'd even muck Ax that hits two pair, because I cannot beat a 9. If this type of opp hits only 1 pair, they'll check/call all the way down, but when they bet, they have trip 9's or better.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com