Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Set vs Flush

Old
Set vs Flush - Wed Aug 27, 2014, 01:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $11 Phase tournament with 2 Day's (Phase 1 = Day 1 and Phase 2 = Day 2). I am playing Phase 1 where I need to survive 15 levels and it has 10mins blind level.

How should I have played this hand starting from preflop. Is the check fine on the turn ?

Also should I check-call river instead of value betting my set? I lost 70BB huge stack just like that

Once he shoved on the river I can't fold as there was too much invested in the pot.

STATS :

Old
Wed Aug 27, 2014, 04:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With 77, I'm going to make my standard opening raise. I then get 3-bet to 1200. This creates a problem for me as I do not have enough chips in either stack to setmine (neither have 18k). Since I can't look at this purely for setmining, I need to now set a plan for the hand.
The opp here is very tight with 3-bets, so they most likely have two overs or an overpair. With this being a tight opp, I'm going to fold 77 to the 3-bet as I'm a 22-78% dog to their range. I'm still a 60-40 dog to even their entire PFR range.

Due to this, I'm mucking to their 3-bet.

If I did see this flop (either by 4-betting to 3k or calling.. note if I call, I need to be ready to lead just about any flop and if I'm not willing to do so, I need to 4-bet or fold pre), I absolutely must make a lead value bet when I see top set and will bet 1430. I cannot bet less than this or I can be giving a single heart the correct price to draw and since I don't have the nut flush draw, I absolutely cannot check.

The turn is an ace, which could have very easily hit the opp, as there are a number of big hearts in their range, so they could have hit top pair and have a flush draw. With this being the case, I need to make another value bet on the turn, as I can be called by Ax especially if they have a heart. Due to how large the pot is... I need to shove the turn as I don't want to let the opp see a 4th heart and a value bet pot-commits me. Also, worst case, if the opp does have a made flush, I still have 10 outs to improve.

If I saw the river with chips left (wouldn't happen), I'd just check and call a standard or smaller bet by the opp. To bet the flop, check the turn and bet the river is a line that really doesn't make much sense.. unless it is Kh but an ace with the Kh would bet the turn.. so this combination doesn't make sense. KK with the Kh is the only combination of cards that should take this line postflop.. and it should have 4-bet preflop, so it doesn't make sense either. With the opp holding the Kh... there is not a single combination of cards that I can have that would make sense for this line.

The best thing to do in this hand is to fold to the 3-bet preflop due to the opp type (very tight). If I see the flop, I need to value bet the flop, which sets up a turn shove to a non-heart turn.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 27, 2014, 05:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
Why can't I call 3-bet I just have to call 700 more. 700 X 15 = 10500

Why do you calculate from 1200.

My 500 is already in the pot so it's gone/it's not in my stack anymore, means I have to put 700 now more.

Old
Wed Aug 27, 2014, 06:26 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The bet is 1200... so I'd need to have 15x1200 in everyone's roll if I want to setmine.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com