Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl cash table, Is this called chasing draws?

Old
2nl cash table, Is this called chasing draws? - Thu Aug 28, 2014, 08:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2014

Am I chasing the draw with wrong odds here?
Where should I have folded?

- H

Old
Thu Aug 28, 2014, 09:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have 3-bet preflop if I wanted to play the hand.

As played, fold on the flop as this bet prices me out. I'd need to call 9 cents into a pot that will be 34 cents (26.5%). 8 outs for an OESD is only worth 16%. Pot equity is higher, so I expect to lose chips by calling, so I need to fold.

This is chasing and needs to be avoided.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 28, 2014, 09:49 AM
(#3)
Thanks John, I guess that getting a chance to call with the right odds just doesn't happen most of the time...
Why would I want to 3-bet with AJo from the BB?
With a strong but non-premium hand I thought I'm supposed to only call if raised.
Well, maybe since it was only a min raise...

Old
Thu Aug 28, 2014, 10:08 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
When playing out of position, I want to have the lead in the hand. Calling OOP (especially out of the blinds) is something that will be a big chip leak over time due to the positional disadvantage postflop.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 28, 2014, 04:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
I don't mind calling the flop bet in position (although it's better to do this when you have a deeper stack so that you have some implied odds), but fold the turn. On a paired board, you could very well be drawing dead against a full house.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 28, 2014, 06:16 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I don't mind calling the flop bet in position (although it's better to do this when you have a deeper stack so that you have some implied odds), but fold the turn. On a paired board, you could very well be drawing dead against a full house.
Good point!

Old
Thu Aug 28, 2014, 08:43 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
I would call this flop for sure. John's is right on the immediate odds not being there, but we also have some implied odds that imo more than make up the difference (we can expect to win more money on the turn if we make our hand). While our straight coming would put 4 to a straight on the board, I think we still rate to get action a reasonable amount of the time. The SB donking out into the field looks strong in a 4 way pot, and if he's got 2 pair or a set he's not folding to our turn bet. And anyone with a jack (KJ/QJ/JT/J9/J8/JJ) makes a costly 2nd best straight when we turn our nut card a king, and we should be winning their stack when that happens. So I'm ok with folding this turn card and action, but not on the flop for a single bet.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 29, 2014, 11:27 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2011
3bet or fold pre. Personally, normally I would like to fold since AJo won't flop well enough of the time, though here the raise size is only the minimum - and we have two other callers. Worth a shot, but yeah, fold on the turn.

Old
Fri Aug 29, 2014, 03:51 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2012
To me is a 3bet or a fold. I don't think AJo is strong enough to play a 4way pot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com