Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl zoom : river decision with top 2 pair

Old
10nl zoom : river decision with top 2 pair - Fri Aug 29, 2014, 04:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

Let me know please what you think of this hand.
All players totally unknown.
Please comment on my actions and let me know about your thoughts on river decision.

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

Hero (Button) ($17.89)
SB ($15.27)
BB ($10)
UTG ($9.55)
MP ($4.35)
CO ($25.54)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J, J
UTG calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, SB calls $0.40, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.45) 10, 8, 9 (3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.69, SB raises to $1.40, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.71

Turn: ($4.25) 10 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.25) 4 (2 players)
SB bets $4.06, Hero ??

Regards
PS : Don't cheat and click this until you finalize your analysis :
Click to show hidden text

Last edited by shoim; Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 05:12 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 07:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I would check the flop but this is a fish so betting cant be bad as he might call with 6 high looking for a 7 on the turn but the problem is players cant resist raising pairs+ a flush or straight draw so i still don't hate checking.

I really would hate it if i had to bet fold this hand especially vs a fish that might just be an aggro monkey or will pay me off with top pair when the 4 straight comes and i go for two fat streets of value after checking back the flop.

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 02:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi shoim,

I like betting the flop here but would size bigger personally, more like 1-1.10... this is a dynamic board that will favor the player in position, and we have connected well with it so I think this hand should be in our betting range. We can get called by a number of worse hands, and have outs to improve when we're behind.

Just calling the check/raise in position seems fine, especially readless. I also like the turn check-behind as this card has improved a bunch of villains flop check/raising range to trips and full houses.

I favor a fold on the river, it's kind of meh but he's sizing his bet large which is somewhat polarizing to big hands and (busted draw) bluffs... the problem for us is two fold... first we block some of the potential bluffs holding 2 J's + a big spade, and second being that if he was semi-bluffing a draw on the flop, this is a great turn card to barrel vs. the preflop raiser because it does improve his c/r range... and yet he didn't barrel. So I think he'll show up with more value hands that were hoping to induce a turn bet from us and are now betting big to make up for some of the lost value.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 02:51 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
@Mike, how are you reaching the conclusion the SB is a fish?

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 03:08 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey Dave and Mike,

Thank you for your input, in my own words, this line :
Quote:
So I think he'll show up with more value hands that were hoping to induce a turn bet from us and are now betting big to make up for some of the lost value.
translates too : ha, I made an exploitive check behind, and now he wants to get paid ? If the bet on the river was like 2/3 of the pot or less I would've just called even to take a note at least.

Thank you

Old
Sun Aug 31, 2014, 05:40 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
@Mike, how are you reaching the conclusion the SB is a fish?
UTG limped, i didn't even realize the SB was in the pot that makes me want to check back even more now the reason i want to check back is because i was under the impression if we were calling pre ourselves we wouldn't be x/r all our sets/ 2 pair because theres all ready made straights and to many bad turn card so i would of x/c.

But i read the action as fish limp called and x/r flop which i know they raise alot of pair+ flush draw stuff two pair and sets so i don't mind calling a flop raise now we bet but if it were a reg raising us on the flop i thought jacks outs are pretty much dead if regs were only raising the nuts and some flush draws and some straight draws.

Or do you think we should be x/raising two pair and sets on the flop ourselves?

Old
Sun Aug 31, 2014, 08:39 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
But i read the action as fish limp called and x/r flop
SB is the check-raiser, not the limper.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com