Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How to play on turn !

Old
How to play on turn ! - Sat Aug 30, 2014, 09:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It's $3.30 Saturday Micro with 15mins slow blind level.

How should I have played this hand:
  1. Can I 3-bet preflop? (Coz the SB and BB player are super loose)
  2. Should I raised bigger on the flop?
  3. Should I shove on turn? (I was worried that BB player can have set or someone might hit a Ten)

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 12:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With 99, I get a raise from a tight opp in front of me. I’m going to call behind here and hope to setmine, as the stacks are deep enough to do so. The blinds being loose is a good thing, as I’d like to have multiple players in the pot that I can win chips off of if I can hit a set.
I don’t want to 3-bet here because doing so would be trying to isolate the initial raiser… which I don’t want to do because I’m a 55-45 dog to their range. When 3-betting to isolate, I want to do this against ranges that I’m ahead of.

I see a 4-way flop and after the blinds check, the initial preflop raiser makes and abnormally small bet of 240 (standard bet for 3 opps is 3/4 pot). I have two choices here. I can either flat or raise, as I’m not folding an overpair to a small bet. If I raise, I need to make a standard raise, which is a raise by 3/4 pot (900 chips). However, this bet pot-commits me, so I’d need to shove.

I don’t want to raise to less than this, as all it does is to bloat the pot. It won’t price out the opp’s draws and also most likely won’t fold anyone out, so it basically doesn’t accomplish anything positive. A small raise will also create another problem that I now won’t be able to price anyone out on a favorable turn card.

The players in the blinds are wide, so I’m most likely ahead of their hands and the key for me is how my hand is against the preflop raiser and flop bettor. While I was a 55-45 dog preflop, I’m now a 55-45 favorite against them. These factors along with not wanting someone to see an overcard to my 99 that hits on the turn or river… I’m shoving!

As played, I have to check down the turn and river, as any of these opps can have a ten or ace (the preflop raiser has plenty of these in their range: 88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+).
The line that I’m taking in the hand is to call preflop to setmine and shove the flop when I get three unders.

This hand is a great example of why smaller HUD quantities may give results that are way out of line. The opp is listed for an 8% PFR, but shows up with A6s. To get A6s in their range, they need to be playing over double this (16.4%).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 12:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
How can I shove 2488 into a pot of 880 on the flop and expect to get calls from draws or worst?

I never seen anyone super over-bet shoving 3x the pot size on any street !

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 01:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It's not an overbet. A standard raise is to 900 and this pot-commits me.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com