Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Folded To A River Bet - 25NL Fullring -

Old
Folded To A River Bet - 25NL Fullring - - Sun Aug 31, 2014, 08:01 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I perceived this opponent to be a solid player, here's his stats at the time:

I bet big preflop as I was in early position. I'm regularly 4x'ing from UTG these days, always the same size although it's usually with premiums.

Postflop I c-bet, I think that's standard? What about the sizing?

On The Turn I still think I'm ahead but I decide to check-call hoping to allow him space to bluff-off with worse hands. Looking back on it I think this was a mistake?

Both the King on the River and the size of his bet I do not like, it smacks well in his range.

I'm putting him on AK, KJ, Sets with 8's, J's, 4's. It's unlikely he hit a backdoor flush draw but it is out there and possible.

I fold OTR because most of the time I find one-pair hands just not strong enough in these spots at showdown. I didn't like to fold and not sure if it was the correct thing to do.

I also think I lost initiative by not leading out with a bet OTT?

All advice, thoughts and ideas welcome.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Raiser

Old
Mon Sep 01, 2014, 02:01 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
No problem if you raise more early position as standard. You cbet strong and IMO I like ( $1 pre then $1.50 close enough). But then not to fire twice?

That may be a bet fold or bet call. But I don't understand if the stats tell you what to do. Giving up the initiative sets us up for a problem. Now facing a solid turn bet, it's a blank though giving what back door?

So now I'll shut up, river not a clue. Bet turn and then raised similar dilemma. A set or not, then to some nut flush - why do people say that's polarized. It's a bluff or not.

Stats: was looking top down "river" but now see is that vpip/pfr 11/8(116) tight?

Last edited by ForrestFive; Mon Sep 01, 2014 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: Joke - polarized. It's a bluff or not.

Old
Mon Sep 01, 2014, 12:21 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
My guess is its a fold seen as he probably don't have any straight draws in these positions that peeled flop and then bet two streets, the question is what does he do with 99 TT.

I think if the river was a non diamond K it would be a call as he can v bet worse then or would the river be a call because villain can v bet thinner for value as he would have more busted draws seen as diamonds missed but i think that would only apply in late positions seen as here the ranges are much more tighter.

Or i could be over thinking it again ive been getting confused lately with watching stuff from higher stakes with all these thin v bets/bluffs and raising ranges im not used to.

Old
Mon Sep 01, 2014, 02:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey,

I'll throw my thoughts in here.
Given by the stats I don't agree that he's as solid as you give him credit too, more like a shy nit, somewhat positional aware.
Seems he is only confident raising his LP hands (not a limper though from EP) otherwise calls pretty wide MP 5/21 MP (he calls 25% of hands dealt in MP given his PFR there is 0).
That being said, pre and flop looks solid on your part, turn is not looking good. Maybe a check min-raise / fold to shove line is better, but that's just me.
If he indeed is a good regular, which I doubt, then he would be betting for value and you can make a crying fold, otherwise, he tries to bluff a turn that nobody bluffs, if that makes any sense, as the 2d is a complete brick. And yes, giving up initiative it leaves us open to attacks OTR and we are likely to be pushed away by any A or K. I frankly don't think he was looking for the backdoor flush.

Regards.

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 06:42 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
We have a lot stronger hands to bluffcatch here. I'd prefer calling with the Qd.

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 10:30 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
Birday would you bluff catch QQ if the river was Kc or Kh? Or are you only calling because he can rep the backdoor flush with a turned draw or something.

Im pretty sure ive seen 500nl players VB AJ on a non diamond K here.

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 10:41 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Paul,

This guy seems pretty nitty imo, 11/8 over 116 hands with no 3b's in 43 opportunities. While we don't have post flop stats given, my guess is he's not a likely candidate to make river bluffs in spots like this. So I think as played the river is a clear check/fold (and if the river goes check/check, we win).

Flop sizing is fine, the c-bet is a bit large but I think it's ok here as I don't expect this guy to fold a jack for this price, nor call with weaker pairs even for a better price.

Turn I think bet/folding is much better than check/calling against a tight/conservative player, I would bet about half the pot here to target Jx for value, and folding if raised is pretty clear. The primary reason of checking to induce bluffs isn't a good fit for this spot imo because:

1) his flop calling range doesn't include hands that would need to bluff on this dry board... there's no draws except gut shots and he's both unlikely to be playing these card combos preflop, and unlikely to call a 72% pot flop bet with a gutter.

2) Tight/conservative players are the worst bluff candidates to begin with. He'll just check behind us and take a free card with a lot of his worse made hands.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com