Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$22 1R1A - A2 flopped top pair on semi-wet board

Old
$22 1R1A - A2 flopped top pair on semi-wet board - Mon Sep 01, 2014, 06:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010

Villain is a No10Nostr8 - a very good reg playing 29/23/3Bet 18. We had played a few hands earlier on in the tournament where he was on my immediate right but nothing major happened.

We're at probably the final 2 tables of the $22 1R1A, we're all trying to make the FT now. There may have been a small ladder up spot from 16th-15th or something, but not entirely sure.

Pre - Raise/call vs SB, raise/fold vs BB

Flop - I felt like this might be a spot where the villain might try and be a bit aggro vs me with his draws, so I decided to bet/3Bet in the thought that I could get it in ahead vs his draws and maybe even occasionally fold out some better Ax.

In game I felt that this is a board I want to be CBetting on pretty regularly, so I felt I had to CBet when I actually made top pair.

The other main plan I considered was to check back flop for pot control but then I'd be in a bit of a guessing game if he unleashes the barrels which I didn't really fancy having to deal with, but this might be the better way to go, I'm not sure.

Old
Mon Sep 01, 2014, 09:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
Definitely another aggro super-reg Seriously when Stapes says year of Romania it is guys like this that live up to the hype.

I could easily assume that he would 3bet a polarised range and have no problem 3bet folding pre. Therefore I don’t think a) there are that many aces in his flatting range and b) that he would necessarily raise any weak top pair on flop. I also think plenty of hands still flat in the bb. So the raises are liable to be the rare hands that are ahead (75 could be the only one in the flatting range), a whole host of draws and potentially air.

If you had not named the villain and we just had the stats I could easily assume that they might see some profit in raising the cbet and after you ship folding air and calling off with various draws. I’d expect the villain in question to be a bit more savvy and raise the cbet with a more polarised range so they are happy calling off with the draws they raise.
However, it depends a little on villain’s perception of hero. If they think hero pot controls weaker aces, folds to flop raise too much, or calls raise to later fold with the type of hand you have then there is a green light to raise this flop. I am sure this does not apply here, but worth considering our image?

I like the line, I think I would have pot controlled several months back, but versus a capable villain (ie can raise cbets without having it) in this spot I think any top pair is strong enough to go with. I imagine we get a lot of folds and villain is getting the right price to call off with flush draws and open ended straight draws versus which we do well.

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 12:05 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Andy,

If you think the villain might get aggressive with you on this board when you c-bet, imagine what he might do if you check behind on the flop...

I really don't like the bet/3b line personally, I prefer to just call and get it in on the turn, which if we just call I expect he'll blast at. I don't think it's just draws, but probably some fair portion of air in his range as well, mashing all in loses all value from the air. I don't expect a solid reg to have an ace here really, as he'd probably 3b you preflop with those, so it's 55/75s or bluffs/semi-bluffs. When his range is heavy in bluffs, putting in the 3b costs value.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 12:08 AM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
To be clear, checking behind otf isn't for pot control... we only start the hand with 20bb and it's a raised pot, so the pot is already out of control. Checking behind is to induce bluffs. c-betting may do that too ofc, but we cut off the tap when we 3b all in.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 06:05 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
When I played the hand I didn't really consider his preflop flatting range as carefully as I should have done, which both of you picked up on and probably rightly concluded that he 3Bets a lot of his Ax preflop and the Ax that he does flat probably has no reason to x/r flop.

OK so I understand that bet/call flop is probably better. But what about turn play?

Non-clubs: Call a bet or bet if he checks?

Clubs: Call a bet or check behind if he checks?

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 06:43 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Really not a fan of b/3b. I xb this as a default vs good regs to protect my checking range.

AP I call and decide turns. I feel he'll be shutting down quite often after we call.

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 10:00 AM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
OK so I understand that bet/call flop is probably better. But what about turn play?
Get it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
I xb this as a default vs good regs to protect my checking range.
^^This

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com