Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Poker Podcast - Win Tickets!

Old
Poker Podcast - Win Tickets! - Tue Sep 02, 2014, 06:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)

Hello,

Very soon we will record a new episode of the PokerSchoolOnline Podcast and on the show we will be talking about the topic of Improving Your Mental Poker Game

We want to hear your questions about this topic. Do you suffer from poker tilt? Do you play worse when enduring a bad session? Do you bring your 'bad day at work' into your poker session? ... and other questions you may have like this.

Post your question in the forum thread below. If we read your question out on the next show you will win an $11 Sunday Storm ticket!

If you've missed the last episode of the Podcast you can catch-up with it HERE

We look forward to hearing from you!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 07:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
If I play I try to avoid caffeine and foods high in sugar. I feel as they they take me from a state of being over energised (which may make me more aggressive and tilting) to being under energized which may make me agitated and irritable. Is this proven thing or is happening only with me?

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 07:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
I know that strict discipline is essential to success in poker.
However, knowing that my weakness is impatiently playing too many hands that I know I shouldn't be playing but that doing something to correct that is an entirely different problem.
So what should I be doing to improve my patience while playing poker?

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 07:53 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Before entering a large tourney I like to take an hour alone to get rid of the work day the wife the kids etc.
I find it helps to enter a game with a blank mind and it seems to enable me in being able to focus on just the game
as well as aiding in my patience for the grind and long haul. Am I just tricking my mind into believing this helps me? It certainly seems I play better and run deeper and tilt less often when using this mind clearing theory.
thanks and gl in all always

10 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 02, 2014, 09:44 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2014
BronzeStar
What can you do to energise yourself at the end of a large tourney? I find if I make it to the last 20, I'm losing my concentration and more likely to make mistakes or make poor decisions. Often the tourney starts in the early evening and by the time it reaches the end, we're into the small hours. I'm about to hit 50 so my mind is probably not quite as agile as it once was. This is the stage in the tournament when the difference in being a place up really matters in terms of money. Any advice?

Old
Wed Sep 03, 2014, 04:54 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2013
how can i improve my patience and that smashing variace that drive my crazy sometimes ???? :| a smash my leptop once because of that

Old
Wed Sep 03, 2014, 06:05 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
My question on improving my Mental Poker Game is how do I overcome tilt that appears when I lose at poker, I know you cannot win every time you play poker, but when I lose, I lose the motivation to play and this tilt is worse the higher the buy in .

My results are reasonable playing poker but I should be playing more , but lose motivation when I lose, but the edges are so small in poker that nobody wins as much as I expect to, thanks for any advice how to overcome this problem.

Old
Wed Sep 03, 2014, 07:44 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
What are your thoughts on leaving chat on or turning it off?

Myself I have it off, I find it helps with my tilt issue.

Cheers

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 01:41 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2012
BronzeStar
I myself always dealt with this emotional stress when somebody or any player run down on my AA beat by a 22 in river player come up to a 222... sometimes i would like to quit playing poker...but come to think of it as a challenge emotionally...how can i get over with or maintain my composure in times like this??

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 04:10 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I have become to realise if I am having a bad day due to whatever circumstances. The poker table is the last place to be at, it just makes it worse. Especially when situations occurr such as having the best hand in flop and someone takes most or all of my chips with a bad beat. (opponent having 2 7 and myself a flush at the flop) K Q 7 2 2 If all my chips are not taken it is easy for me just to shove the rest of my chips (tilt) on next hand or hands due to the dissappointment from the bad beat.

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 04:34 AM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar
In all honesty I've never suffered from TILT. Not once have I fell foul to this. I see a lot of players who do & I can't really understand this aberration. Having a firm grasp of the mathematical probabilities is always at the front of my mind & my question is shouldI ever allow myself to be tilted? Can't see any benefit to it - oh, I am a cybernetic by the way.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 05:09 AM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2012
I suffer of tilt when I lose in front of a fish with trash cards and small brain a few times in a row. I get angry and then I start to play to aggressive with weak holdings.
I've read somewhere that symphony orchestra - classical music - (Bach, Mozart, Verdi etc) calm down your body and mind. It will relax you. It's something about the sounds resonate somehow with the human body.
For example, all action movies have music with an alert rhythm and that sounds resonate with you and you fell like you are there. Your mind and body start to be in an alert mood.
So, when I'm feeling that I will go on tilt, or if I feel that I can't get focused on my A-game, I put some symphony orchestra music in my player and I will calm down and my game won't suffer from tilt.

Just try to listen this when you play and you will understand what I'm saying about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65oWFMSoK0

My question is that this is real - that sounds resonate somehow with your mind and your state of being, or just the article that I read had an placebo effect on me?

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 05:41 AM
(#13)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi guys!

While studying, be it poker or anything else, l have the tendency to think black & white. When learning a new tactic, l tend to go from one extreme to the other, which is part of my personal learningprocess it seems. Becoming conscious of the issue has helped me snap out of it earlier, but l still find myself in the same situation over and over again. Do you have any tips as to balance out information faster and therefor speed up my learningprocess?

Thanks a bunch!

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 10:25 AM
(#14)
Since: May 2014
BronzeStar
Question on mental toughness;

How do I manage the tilt when players have the worst hand available yet river the best hand when I had the best hand the whole time?

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 11:01 AM
(#15)
Since: May 2014
I'v been playing poker from a really young age, however i have only recently started learning at a more advanced level and the problem i seem to have the most is patience. When i play in long exhausting tournaments i feel my patience draining and i get to a point where i become sloppy and i call or raise hands i shouldn't. So my question is how do i deal with staying patient and focused on the game?

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 11:36 AM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2014
BronzeStar
I think it is very important to be able to manage your bankroll properly,
when your downswing and doing everything possible,but it is because sometime in luck is not with you,and just lose and continue to lose,then I think is the better man to stop playing and to ventilate the cerebellum,to get rid of poker for a while, it would be better if in dausing:
Мy question is:--what we do when we fall right on the bubble,and lose our one significant event for us,how do you then you would feel better,to stop playing not to think about poker to pay more attention to family,most of these things we've experienced them and they do not work, so I ask you, how to avoid this anger maybe fall for many people same goes for the session which took place a long time and finally I stumble into a situation from which there is no escape and you have to take an important decision which is wrong, perhaps because of luck that has come upon you, or a long time spent in front of poker, you in crisis,how do you think this can be avoided, what is it that would make you not think constantly about this situation.....
I come out of such situations by visiting yoga courses,and walk my dog,for each is different and maybe that's why the world is so big and colorful....

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 12:01 PM
(#17)
Since: Apr 2011
Slightly tangential question, my question "How do we switch off post-session?"
Whether its 10pm and I can do something irl, or 4am and I am overdue sleep, I'd love to be better at busting last table and not thinking about hands etc.

Old
Poker Tilt? - Thu Sep 04, 2014, 01:54 PM
(#18)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hi guys. I actually do not suffer from poker tilt. But I do get impatient when the game is not going my way or I'm just not getting good cards. When this happens, I have the ill fated tendency of trying to get something happening by over betting or playing bad cards. What is your advice for me on preventing myself from doing this?

5 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 02:07 PM
(#19)
Since: Mar 2014
BronzeStar
I always become so frustrated when the opponent just gets the right card he need's on the river to beat me and most of the time he's the one who has the worst hand. This happens to me alot and after this happens, i quit the game for a few hours because i don't feel like playing anymore. Any advice on how to deal with these kind of situations?

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 06:41 PM
(#20)
Since: Mar 2011
I stick to strict bankroll management but im too strict.....I havent moved up limits or started multitabling I think because its harder and/or I do not feel ready yet

How can I get mentally prepared to move up limits and start to multitable ? Is it the case I have refused so far as I feel or know Im not good enough yet so more study is required

PS I have no ego and moving back down the limits is no problem at all its just moving up I have the issue with....also I mainly only play SNG but hope to jump to MTT eventually

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com