Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

5th in Hot $0.55

Old
Wink
5th in Hot $0.55 - Thu Sep 04, 2014, 04:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
A cool bankroll up event where I finished 5th on 5,861.

It was a nice tournament, I could feel beforehand that I was going to do a deep run. It was also good to know which spot to take against which villains.

My goal was to make the Final Table after placing around the 30s in similar tourneys like the 0.82 very recently.

The largest field for which I placed in a Final Table was the 100K Privilege Freeroll last year which as you know is a huge All-In festival because of the freeroll + rebuy nature. In that tournament, I placed 3rd on around 18,000, and won something like $150 or so.

This made a strong impact on me to specialize long-term in tournaments.

However, since that time, Final Tables in MTTs were few if not inexistent. I did make a few FTs in small SNGs, and that was good practice.

After a pause from poker for several months, during which I was working on electronics, coding and improving my home theater system (lots of DIY involved), I started playing and studying again, lots of time studying alone.

I had run down my bankroll to nothing, so took the challenge of re-building from 0 rather than depositing. This was a bit harsh, but necessary since I was definitely doing something wrong. Played the Open Skill league and the Privilege Freerolls, then the 0.10 360-mans, got some minimal FPPs which I parlayed into about $25 in the VIP freerolls, so yes, it can be done. More importantly, this renewed success taught me to play tighter in the beginning.

Then, I deposited a small amount again, made a big mistake in the Micro-Millions (out of bankroll) and more recently did better, a few deep runs in MTTs showed that I had improved quite a bit in the last weeks.

A lot of concepts congealed into my mind during this Hot $0.55 Deep run, so I feel like I know how to do it again and what to look for in articles, books and videos, things like playing short stacks, playing the player, steals and re-steals, etc... I just knew for sure I was going to run deep, was very focused, and my targets were ITM, then Final 4 tables, then FT, and of course made a big mistake on the FT (which I will never repeat again!).

Encouraged by this, I took a couple of subscriptions for videos and will study them. I also bought a few great books from a nearby second-hand store, and am thinking of getting a coach.

My next target is to be #1 at one of those micro tournaments while continuing to play within bankroll if possible, unless a rare opportunity shows up and if I feel I'm on top of it.

In the meantime, I took a good chunk of my bankroll for staking and I know my stake in this player will fructify as I know the value of his achievements.

Good luck to all, and keep studying.

Maybe that should have been a blog post (haha!)

Last edited by Nataraj1; Thu Sep 04, 2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 05:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
Congrats.
You could consider submitting the hand history to trainers here, free training is often good value!

Old
Thu Sep 04, 2014, 06:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2013
Thanks Profess Awe,

That's a great idea.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com