Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

About AF in PT4.

Old
About AF in PT4. - Fri Sep 05, 2014, 08:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I am new to PT4, got it last week, and yes, I now do wish that I had bought it several years ago.

Anyway, I am creating and trying out a custom cashgame HUD, in which I put the stat, "total aggression factor".

Now, i sometimes run into players where my HUD say's:

"total AF

Value: infinite"

How am I to translate this "infinite", what exactly does that mean in relation to AF?

Does anyone have any idea?

Old
Fri Sep 05, 2014, 11:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
As I understand it aggression factor is basically displayed as a ratio of how often a player makes an aggressive action compared to a passive one. So how much more they bet or raise as opposed to calling. If it reads as infinite then it just means they always make an aggressive action rather than a passive one when that option is available to them. Over time though very few players, if any, will keep their AF at infinite.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 05, 2014, 01:31 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
As I understand it aggression factor is basically displayed as a ratio of how often a player makes an aggressive action compared to a passive one. So how much more they bet or raise as opposed to calling. If it reads as infinite then it just means they always make an aggressive action rather than a passive one when that option is available to them. Over time though very few players, if any, will keep their AF at infinite.
I have seen more than a couple in a short periode - a couple day's as I have just bought PT4, at 2NL, which kinda makes me think that there is something else going on. Not that I question your pokerwisdom, I know that you are a much better pokerplayer than me.

If they would alway's make an aggressive action I'd tend to think that they would get a "100%" number rather than "infinite". Also, their VPIP and PreflopRaise and 3bet numbers probably would'nt be so low, I've seen people with a VPIP and FPR of 15%, a 3bet of zero% and an infinite AF.

My thinking in creating that custom HUD with the AF in it was that it gives an impression about how far they are willing to go to win the pot, whether or not they have a hand.

Ofcourse, as I am new to HUD's and pokersoftware in general, I could be wrong.

Old
Fri Sep 05, 2014, 05:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
It's [number of bets and raises] divided by [number of calls]. If the villain has never hit the CALL button post-flop, the math is X divided by zero. Equally, if he never bets or raises, then it will be 0/X. Anything divided or multiplied by zero is infinity (or simply unsolvable).

FWIW, I think AF is an outdated stat with little use in the modern game, although I still keep it on my HUD. It's possible for "fit or fold" nitboxes to have higher AF numbers than uber-aggro lagfish. Added to that, merely being aggressive doesn't turn you into a winner. Some of the best players have pretty low AF numbers. Above 2NL (which is just a weird limit that plays like nothing else), something close to 2.0 for AF is optimal in the long run, but there are winners with an AF of 3.5 and there are winners with an AF of 1.2.

You might be better off with Aggression Frequency %. Most TAG winners will take aggressive actions about 33% of the time in the long run.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 05, 2014, 06:50 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
It's [number of bets and raises] divided by [number of calls]. If the villain has never hit the CALL button post-flop, the math is X divided by zero. Equally, if he never bets or raises, then it will be 0/X. Anything divided or multiplied by zero is infinity (or simply unsolvable).

FWIW, I think AF is an outdated stat with little use in the modern game, although I still keep it on my HUD. It's possible for "fit or fold" nitboxes to have higher AF numbers than uber-aggro lagfish. Added to that, merely being aggressive doesn't turn you into a winner. Some of the best players have pretty low AF numbers. Above 2NL (which is just a weird limit that plays like nothing else), something close to 2.0 for AF is optimal in the long run, but there are winners with an AF of 3.5 and there are winners with an AF of 1.2.

You might be better off with Aggression Frequency %. Most TAG winners will take aggressive actions about 33% of the time in the long run.
Yes, I was wondering about that. The amount of choices/stats available is a bit overwhelming.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com