Since: Aug 2014

When should i have folded?

Old
Sat Sep 06, 2014, 12:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
One critical piece of information is missing here and that is how tight or loose the initial raiser is. This information will set up how I play the hand.

Calling a raise with QJ preflop can be trouble. If the raiser is a normal to tight player, I'm mucking it preflop as I'm too easily dominated.

On the flop, when I get re-raised, I'm shoving and not calling.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 06, 2014, 01:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
One critical piece of information is missing here and that is how tight or loose the initial raiser is. This information will set up how I play the hand.

Calling a raise with QJ preflop can be trouble. If the raiser is a normal to tight player, I'm mucking it preflop as I'm too easily dominated.

On the flop, when I get re-raised, I'm shoving and not calling.

John (JWK24)
This was a ZOOM session, and I don't use any tracking tools yet, so no tight/loose information available.
Anyway, the initial raiser preflop was not the one causing trouble.

Old
Sat Sep 06, 2014, 01:34 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Without info on the opp.... then this needs to be a fold preflop, as my hand is too weak to call a raise with against a realistic opp that raises.

When playing hands, I don't want to be results oriented. The key is to make the best decision that I can, at a given point in time. Anything that happens after each decision point, is out of my hands.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 06, 2014, 04:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2013
I have to agree with JWK. QJo is a fold to a raise.
And also, on the flop, my money would have gone in after the 3bet.

Old
Sat Sep 06, 2014, 07:11 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Fold pre-flop.

As played, call the first flop bet, don't raise. When you raise and get re-raised, fold. You literally only beat JT. Villain has AJ or KJ almost always.

QJo is a clear fold pre-flop. It's a "trouble hand", as proved in this hand. It's trouble because even when you make a hand as strong as trips, you're still losing if the pot gets big. Stick with hands that WIN big pots, not lose them.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com