Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Tough preflop decision for me

Old
Tough preflop decision for me - Sun Sep 07, 2014, 07:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $11 WCOOP-03 [Sunday Million SE] Satellite with 10,000 starting deep stack and 10mins blind level.

Should I 4-bet or cold call 3-bet or fold?

Old
Sun Sep 07, 2014, 08:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
How many are left? How many get tickets? Are we in a ticket position?

This information is always critical for decisions in any satellite. Please provide.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 07, 2014, 10:10 AM
(#3)
Super long way to go, like only 25% of the game is through. About 3hrs of game left.

Old
Sun Sep 07, 2014, 05:43 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
When looking at satellites, this information is 100% critical. Without knowing how many are left, what place we're in and how many tickets are awarded.... all information someone may say about the hand is most likely going to be wrong.

This information is what determines the course of action much more than what the hand is. For example, AA could be a fold, and a junk hand with equity could be a shove... it's all determined by how many are left, what spot we're in and how many tickets.

To analyze a hand from a satellite, this information is mandatory as our standing in the tournament is much more important than what our cards are.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 07, 2014, 06:47 PM
(#5)
It's still early stages , 8 seats paid and there were 210 players left. Avg stack was 14k. I am like 39/210.

Old
Sun Sep 07, 2014, 07:26 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With almost double the avg stack and being very close to a cash position, I need to look at this hand totally differently than if I was a short stack.... I need to play it much more conservatively and to protect my chip position.

I'd be happy calling and seeing a flop OOP against the loose opener, but then I get what is basically a pot-committing 3-bet from an unknown opp. With them being unknown, I need to give them credit for a tight range here.

I have two choices and what I will do will be based on a read of the original opener (not provided). How likely are they to raise or shove if I flat the 2254?

If the opp is likely to call, then I'll call the 2254 and play fit/fold postflop.

If the other opp is likely to re-raise, then I don't want to be risking my chip position in a 3-way pot with an unmade hand for my tourney life and due to this, need to fold. If this guy is likely to raise, then I can only play a hand where I'm willing to call off a shove of theirs (after I flat) and one where I'm confident I'm ahead in a 3-way pot, which is KK+.

4-betting here is out of the question for me, as I'm not putting my tourney life on the line when I'm very close to a ticket position with an unmade hand in a multi-way pot. There is absolutely no need to risk getting the ticket this early when I have a stack that is almost enough to get the ticket. I've got plenty of time to find a hand where I'm ahead and isolated against one opp.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com