Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Playing JJ,TT,99 early position

Old
Playing JJ,TT,99 early position - Mon Sep 08, 2014, 08:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2014
I was reading the cash game course in this site and I noticed something odd in the "starting hand chart".

(http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...lop-essentials)

So.. it says you should fold with JJ,TT,99 in early position when everyone folded? Why would you do that? I generally raise with these cards even in early position.

Same with small pairs, why would you call when you are raised but fold when you are not raised?! Am I not reading this table right? Most of it looks weird to me.

Old
Mon Sep 08, 2014, 09:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You can call to setmine if the stacks are deep enough or raise a limper, but these hands are too weak to play profitably from early position in unopened pots.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 08, 2014, 09:56 PM
(#3)
Thanks for the answer.. it makes some sense to play on limpers but here is my real problem.

If I'm UTG+1 with 77 and UTG raises, I should call.
If I'm UTG+1 with 77 and UTG folds, I should fold?

I don't understand the logic there.

Old
Mon Sep 08, 2014, 10:17 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It takes a stronger hand to open a pot than it does to get in behind someone with position on them.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 08, 2014, 10:25 PM
(#5)
Cool, didn't know that. Thanks!

Old
Mon Sep 08, 2014, 10:41 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Position is a huge key postflop when playing hold'em. The player in position has the advantage and when you're in early position, you will be out of position the overwhelming majority of the time.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 08, 2014, 10:53 PM
(#7)
Indeed, I didn't appreciate the importance in opening the pot vs. calling a raise early position. Even if you are UTG+1 it's a game changer.

Old
Fri Sep 12, 2014, 03:46 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
Ofc 90% of people dont play by this rules... micros in general,so they raise from utg any pair,any Ax... suited or not,any connectors

Sent from my awesome Cardschat SMC reward,Galaxy tab 3 8.0 using tapatalk

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 12:28 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2012
That chart is a mess. You can for sure open 99 utg. And you shouldnt be raising AK vs an UTG open as a standard.

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 08:28 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Position is a huge key postflop when playing hold'em. The player in position has the advantage and when you're in early position, you will be out of position the overwhelming majority of the time.

John (JWK24)
Sklansky would disagree with you (The Gap Concept).

The raiser loses position (if you're not in the blinds) but does have the initiative.

Old
Wed Oct 22, 2014, 04:52 PM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2012
In my opinion there are more factors to take in consideration when opening 77+ from UTG.
Most important is that you have a betting lead and can take a lot of pots with a Cbet.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com