Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

How long does it take to be a good LAG player?

Old
How long does it take to be a good LAG player? - Tue Sep 09, 2014, 08:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
How long should a player practice playing LAG style of poker before they use it on a regular basis?

***Moved to Poker Education Section***

Last edited by royalraise85; Wed Sep 10, 2014 at 07:14 AM..

Old
Tue Sep 09, 2014, 10:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
This is kind of a strange question, in my opinion. Good players don't aim to play a "style". They aim to take the most +EV decision on every hand they are dealt.
If you really must use labels for playing styles, then - generally speaking - players go through 4 stages on the way to "crushing" the game.
1. Loose passive. (fish)
2. Tight passive. (nit)
3. Tight aggressive. (TAG)
4. Loose aggressive. (LAG)

I've been playing semi-seriously (and winning) for 3 years and I'm still only occasionally adopting what most people would call a "LAG" style. In the micros especially, playing tight aggressive works well enough. I typically only use more aggressive plays when the situation calls for it, such as when I know a villain folds too often to tripe barrels or check-raises. In short, I don't practice a "LAG style" or use it on a regular basis. I just increase my betting/raising/bluffing frequencies when I think it is profitable to do so. Much of the time, a less aggressive style works just as well, and it also reduces variance!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 06:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2014
BronzeStar
more than 6 months

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 07:42 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi ThriftyBunny,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any of your comments or questions.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club, and information on how to join the club may be found HERE.

Hope to see you there!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
LAG Style - Fri Sep 12, 2014, 12:39 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
I'm starting to incorporate these no limit hold'em moves into my poker repertoire more often:
1)Cold Four-bet
2)Three-bet (for value and as a bluff)
3)Squeeze play
4)Stop and Go play
5)Triple Barrel Bluff
6)Floating the Flop

Old
Fri Sep 12, 2014, 01:57 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by passter View Post
I'm starting to incorporate these no limit hold'em moves into my poker repertoire more often:
1)Cold Four-bet
2)Three-bet (for value and as a bluff)
3)Squeeze play
4)Stop and Go play
5)Triple Barrel Bluff
6)Floating the Flop
Humm ??????
1 & 2 - do we have position
3 - good, but out of position need table reads
4 & 5 - lol, we look for bad plays without reads
6 - do we have a price to call, it's all about position

Then position and more position and reading bet sizes. What am I saying - I'm a nit.

Old
Fri Sep 12, 2014, 07:13 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2014
BronzeStar
passter if you want play good LAG then you absolutely need to know your opponent s weaks.Don t start play LAG early in the session against unknown players.Try to start from playing 1 table only(not 4 simultaneously).And if you are novice , you absolutely need a HM \PT software with big range of different stats.
remember this things:
1 never call 3bet oop(only 4bet/fold) otherwise your opponents will exploit this your weak play
2 don t call from BB often(resteal is better)because if you just call then opponent get a game with position and initiative in the same time and he will love it.And he will start to steal more often.If you start to resteal then he will be forced to reduce his stealrange against you(other good variant for you is more donkbets from you on flop and turn if you prefer to call stealraise preflop).
3 correct frequency of bluffs / valuebets on every streets from you.(SPESSIALY on turn and river)
4 NEVER EVER polarize your river betrange.
5 practice and practice.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com