Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

$8 buyin tournament., Standard play or bad play...

Old
$8 buyin tournament., Standard play or bad play... - Wed Sep 10, 2014, 02:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Hey guys,

This is a hand from late stages $8 buyin tournament.
what do you think? good shove or should've waited to ladder up a few more places (finished 48)

Flembinio

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 10:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
** moved to Basic Hand Discussions **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 10:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi flembinio!

One key piece of information is left out here.... a read on the blinds? Are they tight or loose and how often are they 3-betting?

The reason that I ask is that with 15.5BB, while I can shove KQs here... it may not be the best play. If the opps are tighter or passive, then I'm just going to make a min-raise here instead of shoving. I should get the same % of folds and it gives me an out if either of the blinds wakes up with a monster hand.

When playing MTT's I tend to not open-shove until I get down to 10-12BB, not at 15.5 like here. With this stack size, I'm looking more for a spot to resteal over someone's opening raise.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 01:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2011
I don't think it is a bad play. There is 30,000 in the pot, so stealing blinds is important way to increase your chipstack( 30,000 chips is a stack increase of 16%!). However, as JWK already said, information about the players is important. If both or one of the two players are re-raising a lot or calling raises relative loose, than I prefer to just go all-in preflop. Otherwise (if both players are tight), I might just raise so I don't risk my whole stack.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com