Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

calling for a chop

Old
calling for a chop - Thu Sep 11, 2014, 01:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2014
i tend to be more of an aggressive player. So i three bet the three flop from the button with a K4 off suit after three or four people limped in. The flop was 44A, due to me being aggressive on the pre-flop i bet half the pot trying to get folded to. i was called by one person who in turn checked an A on the turn so i checked back to get a free peak at the river. the river pulled up an A and i was bet all in. I called with hopes that he was trying to make me fold a chopped flop and we would split the full house. Cards turn over and he had an A. what should i do different next time? and is calling for a chop in a situation like this an acceptable move?

Old
Thu Sep 11, 2014, 01:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
K4o is a very bad hand.. muck it preflop. A standard raise with 3 limpers is to 6BB and K4o is nowhere near strong enough to call with, let alone raise.

On the flop, bets need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. 1/2 pot is only a good bet amount if there is one opp in the hand. If there are more, then I need to size my bets accordingly or I risk giving the opp the correct odds to try to outdraw me... which is something that I need to avoid.

On the river, I'm mucking. I don't want to be calling trying to chop a pot because the majority of the time.. the opp will have playing the board beat.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 11, 2014, 01:34 PM
(#3)
i normally would muck in that situation but for me it was hard to believe that my opp, with the way he was betting, had that ace or a pocket pair. if he would have bet on the turn i would have been out. i only bet this hand in attempt to steal the pot. i believe it was down to three players when the flop was played out and i got it down to two in order to check the turn.

Old
Thu Sep 11, 2014, 01:41 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If I have an A there, I'm very rarely betting the turn. The only hand that can possibly beat me is 44 and it should not raise preflop. If the opp raises, I wouldn't put them on 44 at all, so I'd have the absolute nuts.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 11, 2014, 01:47 PM
(#5)
i understand. im trying to get better at reading my opps hand, but thats a skill no one can perfect

Old
Thu Sep 11, 2014, 01:49 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Take a peek at Dave (TheLangolier)'s videos in the archive. There are a number of them on hand reading and should help.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 11, 2014, 01:53 PM
(#7)
thank you ill be sure too

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com