Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Micro NL MTT: The best line on the river?

Old
Micro NL MTT: The best line on the river? - Fri Sep 12, 2014, 02:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hello

Would like your thoughts on this hand.

It's the early stage of an MTT the preflop raiser is tight-passive, the over-caller is loose passive. I don't have a HUD so no numbers on the villains.

Apart from general comments on the postflop play, what do you think is the best line on the river as played?

I think putting the villain all in would be better since it would be very difficult for hands other than 5x or Tx to call off. I also think if the villain did river a straight he is likely to lead out on the river.

What do you think?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 14, 2014, 05:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi RFlush,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush007 View Post
the preflop raiser is tight-passive
I think this is a decent hand to 3Bet preflop sometimes but not against this opponent type. If he's tight anyway and then opening from early position (i.e. taking an aggressive action and not being passive), his range is already pretty narrow and value-heavy, so by 3Betting, you're going to narrow this range down even more to possibly even something as tight as 99-QQ and AK. So I would just call preflop.

Given the flop and how bad it is for our hand, I would not be looking to put any more money into the pot as we have such poor equity, especially multi-way and our fold equity at any stage of the hand is pretty small, especially against the villain types you describe.

As played a river bluff might well work as TT, ATcc or maybe T9s are the only straights that make sense and if he had a two pair or set on the flop or turn, he very likely would have led out the turn with those for protection, but then again some people love to slowplay. Given that we've still got a huge stack even if we just give up on the river, I'd probably just give up and not take such a marginal spot for 1/3 of my stack.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Old
Tue Sep 23, 2014, 12:43 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
Thanks...

I did check down and the villain showed A2o.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 24, 2014, 03:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush007 View Post
Thanks...

I did check down and the villain showed A2o.
Good thing is, you got a note out of this hand. Knowledge that villain will call a 3bet OOP with A2o is worth as much as what you didn't win from that hand!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com