Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Tough spot preflop

Old
Tough spot preflop - Sun Sep 14, 2014, 05:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
I have 16BB with 88 what should I do here ?

I am ITM, rest info you can see below.

Old
Mon Sep 15, 2014, 05:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Some people like to open-shove with this sort of stack size, hand type and position.

However I prefer to min-raise and call off against one shove and fold if two players shove in front of us. Minraising allows people to shove lighter than they would call with if we just shoved directly as they (correctly) assume they have some fold equity when they shove.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Old
Tue Sep 16, 2014, 11:27 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2012
But surely in these types of games that may not be a good idea as you are somewhat likely to get a (stupid) call pre flop? - potentially from KriptonPT in this case looking at his stats. This would put us in a tough-spot post flop when the inevitable overcards hit. I prefer to shove/fold this spot myself and take away the tough post-flop decision making holding a relatively small stack. Without looking into push-ranges I would guess this is a borderline shove with an M of around 6.5, although part of me thinks wait for a better spot to push this hand through seven players with over 15bb and fold...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com