Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$2.20 NLHE tournament, 2.20 Mid Position AA with 16 BB

Old
$2.20 NLHE tournament, 2.20 Mid Position AA with 16 BB - Mon Sep 15, 2014, 09:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
It's a 2.20 NLHE tournament and we're near the bubble. I get Aces and I am at around 16 BB and it's folded to me in Mid position. Things go horribly wrong.

How would you work with this? Would a stop-and-go be preferable in this particular case after we've seen the flop because of the added fear and fold equity?

Would you instead try a pre-flop shove?

Old
Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:10 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

1) I would shove 16bb in this spot. The PSO training would say we lose value from worse hands. The flip side it looks like AK and big pairs may call us.

2) Raising is good to have our opponents make a mistake and 3bet us lite now we can put our remaining stack in happy.

It's difficult being short and 16bb hasn't much post flop playability. So I just sort it in the first place and put it in pre in micro tourneys.

As played post flop I'd say not much you can do. HA people can help better than me post flop. As an aside you are not the "stop and go" line. I believe that is an oop caller who calls and jams any flop.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Mon Sep 15, 2014 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: typos / stop and go

Old
Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Nataraj1!

With AA and 16BB, I'm going to open-ship here. If I bet small here, it's too much of a tell for a monster hand (to an observant player), so I want to make the play that looks the fishiest... and shove. Most players will interpret the shove as a hand that doesn't want called and with numerous loose opps behind me, I can easily get called by worse.

As played, I absolutely MUST shove the turn. I have an SPR of less than one, so any bet other than shoving is not good.

I definitely don't want to bet 7k here. A standard bet is 1/2 pot (so I can't go lower than this). By betting 7k, the opp is getting 22.5% pot odds. He has 8 outs to a straight, but has 2 overs, so while they only have 16% equity... they think they have 14 outs and 28% equity... which guarantees a call as it's a +EV play if all of their outs are good.
Shoving here gives the opp 32.3% pot odds.. a -EV play to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:46 PM
(#4)
Thanks for the tips, ForrestFive and John.

Hadn't noticed I can't really do a stop-and-go because by def. it's OOP, but I think I could have shoved this flop given the initial mistake already committed.

Ship pre looks like the best option, very good point John about playing in the fishiest way possible.

Hadn't noticed I messed up the bet according to pot odds on the turn. I think I should have bet more than 50% on the flop too and that could have resolved to something good.

Will have to study SPR with AA and watch for these conditions. I watched a video by Dave on SPR but remember the AK case.

Hadn't thought of estimating odds as per the opp perspective. Will keep this in mind if I believe the opp is playing two overs in the future.

Got a lot from the discussion, thanks guys. Will keep posting until I get these situations down cold in my brain.

Old
Tue Sep 16, 2014, 10:28 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
One thing to keep in mind.... whenever 1/3 of my chips go into the pot due to a bet or call... I'm pot-committed and cannot fold later in the hand. Due to this, I have to shove.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 16, 2014, 12:10 PM
(#6)
Applied the 'play in the fishiest way possible' yesterday as a short stack with KK LP, and got someone to double me up. Easy!

Old
Tue Sep 16, 2014, 12:37 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataraj1 View Post
Applied the 'play in the fishiest way possible' yesterday as a short stack with KK LP, and got someone to double me up. Easy!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com