Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO Homegame, 99 in CO facing MP minraise Read more: PSO Homegame, 99 in CO facing M

Old
PSO Homegame, 99 in CO facing MP minraise Read more: PSO Homegame, 99 in CO facing M - Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014

Is it better to flat here instead of shoving and fold to pretty much any flop without hitting a set/straight draw to a c-bet.

Tournament goes from super deep to shovefest due to 3 min blind levels, sitting about 6/12 with 6 paid (leaderboard pts for cashing only)

Thoughts?

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 16, 2014, 10:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi crazyesdumno!

The key here is the stacksize. I don't even have 15BB, let alone 15X the opp's bet that is needed if I want to setmine. Due to this, calling is out of the question as the stacks are nowhere deep enough to do so.

Since I can't call, I need to raise or fold. However, if I raise, I'll be pot-committed, so I'll need to shove.. so my choices now are shove or fold.

Whether to shove or fold needs to be based on a read of the opener and the opps behind. Are they loose? Are they tight.

If the opener is loose, then I'm shoving.

If the opp is tight, this gets to be a more difficult decision as I need to then look at the players behind me as I don't want to end up in a multi-way pot.
If everyone's tight, I'll still shove and hope to be in a race against the initial raiser.
If the opps behind are loose and the opener's tight, this is the one situation that I can find a fold here.

The key is a read on the opps as to whether to shove or fold, as calling is totally out of the question due to stack sizes.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 16, 2014, 03:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2014
Thanks John, yea I shoved and ran into KK. Thanks for confirming its a shove/fold spot

Triple Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com