Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL on the SB

Old
2NL on the SB - Wed Sep 17, 2014, 08:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
I know this is an hand I probably shouldn't have played but was on the small blind with 3 limpers and only the BB to act so decided 1cent to see the flop with a suited 2 gap connector was worth while.

Flop came giving a flush draw as well as a possible inside straight draw, however as I am now out of position I checked was this the best strategy?

Turn gave me the straight so decided to bet out with a pot sized bet.

Villian 4 raised didn't have him down as holding 7/9 so thought maybe he was playing with a pair with ace/k kicker.

So I raised him for him to reraise I now figured maybe he was playing pocket 6's or was running 2 pair may 6/8.

The river came an ace so I figured I was only behind to a 7/9 hand so pushed all in only to find he had gone mad with a pair of 8's.

I think I could have handled the betting on the turn a lot better and maybe had some better bet sizing so would appreciate advice here.

Old
Wed Sep 17, 2014, 09:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Tired of me yet? Unfortunately, I'm one of the few guys that tries to keep the forum a little active. Always see my post as an opinion, not as advise, and certainly not as "the way it should be played".

Here are my thought about the hand:
First, although it's just 1 cent, I would fold that hand pre. Chances are, BB will put in a big bet as he sees 4 limpers. Even if you flop great, you will still have a vulnerable hand that might cost you a lot. This hand is a good example. You flop pretty good, turn gives you a monster but it's not the nuts. if your flush would hit, you have a baby flush, not something you are going to play for stacks.

Postflop:
check OTF, perfect.
Turn: lead out now is fine. Betsize is fine too. But than a silly bettingwar is started. The raise from V4 is way too small. I would 3bet to 60-70 cents, ready to call a shove. If he has 79 we still have our flushdraw so I would play for stacks for sure.

River: shove is fine. No other bet would make sence.

Always nice to catch a big fish

Old
Wed Sep 17, 2014, 10:05 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Definitely not tired really appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions.

Think you will get tired of my questions before I get fed up of your answers

Agree could have been a baby flush but also an outside chance of the straight flush if the 6h had come.

yeah wouldn't normally have played those cards just one of those where I dropped the 1c in and came out lucky, wouldn't have been to concerned if BB had dropped in a big bet and would have had to fold, was such a small bet.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com