Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16NL: Useful stepping stone or waste of time?

Old
16NL: Useful stepping stone or waste of time? - Wed Sep 17, 2014, 10:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
I've been grinding full ring NL Holdem cash games for quite a while and am ready to move up from 10NL (5c/10c). Now I want to ask for some advice. The question is whether I should play 16NL now, or jump straight up to 25NL?

My bankroll is big enough (over $2k) for either, it's just a question of whether 16NL would be a useful stepping stone from an experience point of view.

There are far fewer tables at 16NL than at 10NL or 25NL (about 20% as many as either based on a couple of rough estimates), and my suspicion is that casual recreational players, in particular, will not be attracted to the level with it's odd sounding blind amounts, preferring to play with some simple round numbers. Maybe I am overthinking that, but it's a theory.

Am I likely to find a level full of cautious grinders and very few fish? If so, is it still worth playing to get used to facing a better standard of reg than at 10NL, in preparation for 25NL? Are the regs much stronger at 25NL than 10nl? Where do the regs at 16NL fit in and is it worth playing?

Any responses from those who have 'been there and done that' would be much appreciated.

Old
Wed Sep 17, 2014, 11:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I can't speak for full ring 16NL but my experience of that limit at 6 max has been pretty positive so far. There are a lot of fish there, not sure why exactly, but there have been plenty enough that if you play 6 tables as I do that there is likely at least one fish on each. So many shortstackers too who give their short stacks away cheaply.

Due to the randomness of some of the play the variance can be brutal but if you run to expectation you should clean up.

Old
Wed Sep 17, 2014, 02:00 PM
(#3)
Thanks Bhoylegend. I play 6 tables as well, so I hope your description holds true for full ring. I checked and was surprised to see there are a lot more 6max than full ring tables active, so you do have a bit more room for table selection than I will at this stake.

Old
Wed Sep 17, 2014, 03:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytton View Post
Thanks Bhoylegend. I play 6 tables as well, so I hope your description holds true for full ring. I checked and was surprised to see there are a lot more 6max than full ring tables active, so you do have a bit more room for table selection than I will at this stake.
That is true, however, I use easy seat and don't game select at the minute.

At some point I may do but there's enough fish that I usually end up at a table with them without looking.

Old
Thu Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
What's your win rate at 10nl? (rhetorical question, you don't have to answer lol)

If you're smashing 10nl hard, then you could take a shot at 25nl imo since you're rolled for it. If you drop $400-500 you can move back down to 16nl (and even to 10nl if that doesn't go well).

If you're beating 10nl for a more marginal win rate, I'd start with the intermediate level first, 25nl directly is much less likely to end well.

Ultimately you're rolled to take the shot at 25nl directly. And you can always move down if you lose the shot budget. So I think it comes down to what your confidence is (or should be) in your ability vs. a bit tougher player pool than you're used to.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 18, 2014, 12:17 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
I'd strongly consider the deep tables at 10-25nl.

Old
Thu Sep 18, 2014, 01:37 PM
(#7)
Thanks for the replies. I have had a very pleasing win rate of 9bb/100 at 10nl, but it is a bit misleading as only over 33k hands, and I was only beating 5nl at a 5bb/100 rate over a much bigger sample of 150k hands. The latter does include a prolonged downswing that was probably not representative, so my true actual level probably lies somewhere between the two.

I am thinking that on those numbers it makes sense to give 16nl a go first, before testing the slightly deeper waters of 25nl.

Old
Sun Sep 21, 2014, 07:47 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey mytton, congrats on becoming the PSO Rep - your application was fantastic!! Really great news to hear you're going to have a chance to discuss PSO stuff with Stars

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com