Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 Standard SNG, Q9o, Please evaluate hand

Old
$1.50 Standard SNG, Q9o, Please evaluate hand - Wed Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012

Please can you evaluate how I played this hand. Villain stats were approx 40/15 over 50 hands.

Thanks
Steve

Old
Thu Sep 18, 2014, 01:57 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Humm, ok my 2 cents. We can btn steal Q9 and get a great result 2 pair. Villain donks 1/2 pot... Why jam over that small pot? IMO we lose value being so aggressive.

On that line. If we are called we are losing so our risk/reward is bad. So now we get called by an open ended straight draw and that's equally bad with the overs. At least some one has some relative hand strength - like a set or nut draw?

Old
Thu Sep 18, 2014, 11:29 AM
(#3)
Thanks ForrestFive. I think I have to stop with the habit of panicking when I have a hand on a very dangerous board - maybe to stop busting out of tournaments. So a call would be better on the flop, and then go from there? What do you think his donk bet would usually represent, a stronger hand than mine in most cases?

I was actually 64% favourite to win the hand on the flop.

Also, is there an argument to folding this hand from this position pre flop against a player (actually 2 players - the bb was loose) who is loose and likely to call my raises often?

Old
Thu Sep 18, 2014, 02:30 PM
(#4)
Hi sjb,

Q9 is ok to open with in late position. Tight players fold and loose may call wider. On the flop I would raise to take back the initiative. Say 500 not 1/2 stack is we did. Forum HA people may disagree and give some pros/cons for a call.

Old
Thu Sep 18, 2014, 04:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I think the way you played the hand is fine.

Villain's donkbet signifies to me that he is looking to get the money in and perhaps have some fold equity to boot. The significant majority of his range is going to be draws or pair+draw, which we crush.

So the villain wants to get it in, we have well over 50% equity vs his range (even if you include KT, QJ and 99), so raising is definitely the best option.

We could raise smaller but fishy villains like this and might just call and fold if the turn is a brick or put us in a tough spot if he donk shoves on any number of scary turns.

So although your line is unorthodox, I quite like it in this spot.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 01:01 AM
(#6)
But in a tournament situation, is it not better to reduce the swings/volatility of the hand in order to avoid crashing out when there is a, say, 40% chance of losing the hand (crashing out of the tournament). So wouldn't a call an evaluate line perhaps be better? I say this because I often get into situations like this and go all in, but then crash out as 60-70% favourite while still holding a medium stack. It's frustrating and I'm not sure if its the right way to go about playing it like this.

Thanks for your evaluation both of you.

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 03:20 AM
(#7)
It's more about strategy in the micros. Not clever equity stuff. In a 25c to $1 SNG we have to play good solid poker. Play position try to read you opponents and be tight early stages. My style of play "don't mess it up" in a particular spot works for me.

SNG results:
25c x 45 players 100% roi
$1 x 45 players 87% roi ... and in larger fields with 15min blind levels
25c x 90 players 150% roi

OK we shouldn't be results orientated. But it is a good 2 or 3 hours to smell some money in these games and to make every correct decision. Then to go on to be placed in the higher money spots.

Stick with your game and learn here at PSO, poker players have different opinions and discussions are good.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com