Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Trip Queens on the button

Old
Trip Queens on the button - Fri Sep 19, 2014, 07:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
I am pretty sure I played this really badly and should have seen I was behind Villian_8 had been very loose and regularly taking puts by shoving all in.

I think my initial bet should have been 120 - 150. but flopped the set with a inside straight draw.

Should I have realised I was behind when the villain shoved although he had used that tactic about 1 in every 5 hands he played, it was hard to get a read on what he had been shoving with previously though as all op's had folded to his shove. Didn't think he had pocket kings as he had regularly shoved pre flop too so I felt he would have shoved pre flop with a pair of kings.

Last edited by Webbo62; Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 09:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
The wrong hand is displayed

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 09:15 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
ok corrected

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 10:06 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
I have no problem with your call here. Just a cooler

preflop, With your stack and these blinds, I would prob flatcall and hope see a nice flop. 3betting will cause better hands to call and worse hands to fold. You want the bad hands in as well with your weak holding.

If my stacksize was somewhere between ~30 and 10BB, I would fold
If my stacksize was close to 10BB or less, I would shove here

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 10:54 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Webbo62!

The first problem with this hand is preflop. With 2 limpers in front of me, if I'm going to raise, I need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper (150). I cannot raise to less than this or the opps will be getting the correct price to try to outdraw me (if they're not ahead already). Due to this, I will raise to 150 preflop.

On the flop, I'm calling, but the key here is that I gave the opp the correct odds preflop with a marginal hand.... one that should fold to a standard raise. When the opps get the correct odds, they will win chips off of me on average, each and every single time, and I deserve to lose when I do so.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 11:51 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks for that JWK yeah I would normally raise 3BB + 1 per limper not sure why I got it so wrong here. Although I have noticed in these tournaments early on when stacks are deep even if you raise on the button majority of the limpers will call, so not 100% convinced villain_8 would fold out to a 5 BB raise.

Old
Fri Sep 19, 2014, 12:04 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It doesn't matter if they would fold or not. We don't want to be results oriented when playing poker, only to make the best decision for a given point in time.

Due to the min raise, the opp expects to gain chips from us (bad). If they call a 5bb raise, they expect to lose chips to us (good).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com