Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How to react to this maniac action

Old
How to react to this maniac action - Sat Sep 20, 2014, 02:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It's $22 Saturday Countdown 120 mins Time Tournament and early stages of the game.

How should I have played this hand on the flop? I raised on the flop such that I can't reshove over the all-in from BB player, it's my mistake

And what to do on turn?

STATS :

Old
Sat Sep 20, 2014, 10:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Adi,

We get 4 way action and a horrific flop for QQ, although we have an overpair this texture is about as bad as it can get for 3 undercard flops. Given that and the fact we still have 21bb left in our stack, I would prefer to start with a check and go from there. I think we'll have an opportunity to make a much more informed decision the next time we have to act. If there's a bet and raise we can feel pretty comfortable just folding. If it checks around we can bet blank turns. If the last guy bets and the BB folds, we can check/shove and have it be a reasonable spot. Likewise if it checks around and the BB leads the turn we can shove over him and take our chances. IOW their ranges are pretty well undefined and multiway there's a decent chance someone hit this flop well. If we c-bet we've now put a large % of our stack in the pot with no real clue how strong or weak they all are. If we check, at our next decision point we will have a lot more information at our disposal to make our best guess about the strength of their ranges, and still have the ability to release our hand easily enough without big damage to our stack since we've only put 2.5x in the pot.

As played, Definitely wish we had bet less so we could re-rip over the BB. But we have way too much $ in their to fold with an overpair and OESD, just put the money in.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com