Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16NL TT in 3bet pot vs LAG

Old
16NL TT in 3bet pot vs LAG - Sun Sep 21, 2014, 11:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Villain in BB is 21/17 15.3% 3bet 21% from BB and has AgF of 6.0.

I think most of the hand is self-explanatory, river is kinda yucky, as some of his bluffs just got there.

Are we ok to call down?

Old
Sun Sep 21, 2014, 05:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey mate,

Looks to me he was value betting all the way, laggy as he is, a pocket pair (I see this type of play with 22+ pre if he calls, maybe 66+ if he 3b - so that easily is composed of sets).
Unless you have specific reason to believe he is spewing 3 streets with AJs, for me flop is a fold. Not too much of an expert here but a 3b pre calls for a cbet on the flop(not much info), but firing the paired board on that turn ?
My guess is a re-raise/fold flop to shove or something. If he calls the re-raise, but still donks turn that is a fold. I think if we re-raise flop and he calls he would check /fold his bluffs OTT.
River, as played, I think is a call.

My two cents.
Regards.

ps : how big was the sample ?

Last edited by shoim; Sun Sep 21, 2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old
Sun Sep 21, 2014, 08:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Decisions comes OTT. If you call turn you should probably not fold most rivers.

I think vs a lag i just 4b/call pre but calling can be ok.

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 04:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I like flatting preflop. Depending on the sample and possible fold to 4-bet/5-bet tendencies I could see myself 4-betting against some superaggressive opponent, though we are usually just wasting our positional advantage, bloat the pot or get it in against a range that has good equity versus our hand.

Don't see any better options than calling flop, but I could find a turn fold when he pots a card that I don't expect people to bluff often with overcards. We also block T9, so I see good arguments that his betting range here could have us crushed. I'd only put heromode on if hsi timing/sizing/the situation really calls for it.

Live Trainer

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 05:34 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2012
Ok, thanks guys, he turned up with K5.

There was some additional information that I came across after posting the hand, so I wasn't aware of it at the time, but this guy was upgraded to maniac. On the face of it his VPIP and PFR look normal but once he is in a hand he has to win it. Other hands he turned up with in 40-50bb pots were J2o and T7s. Both times he had no part of the board. His sizings with the bluffs were all on the larger side.

For the hand above, I actually assumed the big turn bet was more bluffy than value, but it was guesswork.

This guy almost single handedly pulled me out of a depression yesterday. Nearly two BI alone across 3 tables in 15 hands.

Old
Tue Sep 23, 2014, 06:22 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
Shoim if you raise flop he wont fold his bluffs on the turn he will do it on the flop, if you find an aggro monkey you just call down i would have folded turn readless.

Old
Thu Sep 25, 2014, 04:06 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2013
@Mike - the fact he 3b pre / cbets flop is not giving us much to work with towards a range projection. He is donking here for 2 reasons : simply because he considers that checking after 3b pre is 'weak' or for sheer value. We have TP on a rainbow board with some back door straights and that vs a lag can be enough to call and evaluate turn. However, if we re-raise his flop raise and he shoves we are pretty much screwed - his range widens to include even 22 (which, in normal circumstances, we would consider to be a thin 3b hand)
What I was saying is that if we call behind he might reconsider a second barrel on the turn, and perhaps we can gain initiative.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com