Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl fr - qq

Old
Question
2nl fr - qq - Sun Sep 21, 2014, 06:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
I forgot to get villains exact stats but I remember they were quite fishy, maybe something like 30/10/1.0

After the check on the flop it's unlikely villain has a King so I bet. I thought that they maybe had middle/bottom pair or were chasing the flush draw.

Question is, should I be calling the river bet? I know I have some showdown value. The flush missed and the only overcard is the King. Is fish only donking me here with a winning hand?

Also, should I have bet larger? I went half pot because of the overcard. Should I overpot it or bet larger to set up for the shove?

Old
Sun Sep 21, 2014, 06:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
I think you played it fine until the river.

Donkbets OTR are often strong. In this case, it's even stronger because he leaves a small portion of his (small) stack behind and he doesn't make a full potbet, just 2 cents below. So he thought about his betsize, not just a dumb shove or potsize. in my eyes thats a strong move. I would fold my QQ here.

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 04:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
I agree with rkleefstra.

Donk bets on the river, especially near pot size are strong, and hands like Top Pair Top Kicker (TPTK) are no good. Even if he is getting fruity with a K your beat - too many better hands beat you (Slow played sets, weird 2pairs - lol, etc) Fish can show up with anything!

I like your chosen bet sizing being on the smaller side because it allows you to not become pot committed when a villain shoves on you on a later street and "think I have got to call with what I have left in my stack because I am pot committed".

You could even check a street (eliminate a betting round), and allow villain to bet a worse hand that he thinks that is ahead.

I not quite sure at 2nl, but you will find that one pair hands win small pots, i.e. villain folds on the flop when he has missed, and lose big pots, i.e. when he calls down and raises with his made flush or straight and you have to fold because you are beat.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Matt

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com