Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

4-betting

Old
4-betting - Mon Sep 22, 2014, 02:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
Dynamics of 4-betting, when and when not to. I can't watch the live training videos where you have to have at least 20 VPPs or 150 VPPs, so that's why I'm asking this. I posted this question in the wrong section b4 so this is a re-post.

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 11:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
Your questions are really general, but some of the things you should probably consider (just my thoughts and I'm no pro so welcome constructive criticism):

Your table image - If you are seen as tight, your fold equity will increase as people will give you credit for a better hand when you raise.
Your read on your opponent - If they 3-bet light, you should be more inclined to 4-bet. You will have much more fold equity (because they 3-bet with so many hands they can't call with).
How many left to play - You may want to 4-bet to narrow the field (for example with pocket pairs that you want to play heads up), or more people left to make a decision might be a risk best avoided.
Your position - with a playable hand, in position, you might be more inclined to just call. Out of position a 4-bet might be a more attractive proposition.
Your stack size - If your stack is small compared to blinds it may be necessary to shove and not just be blinded out when you miss the flop (or lose out on doubling the rest of your stack when you hit).
4-bet or cold - If multiple opponents have shown strength then a cold 4-bet is probably only going to be profitable with the absolute strongest hands. I think it's only the strongest games where balance is important here.

Other considerations might be opponent strength, variance, payout structure. Clearly there's no hard and fast rule for when you should.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com