Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 Standard SNG, JJ UTG, Please evaluate hand

Old
$1.50 Standard SNG, JJ UTG, Please evaluate hand - Mon Sep 22, 2014, 10:41 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012

Hi

I think I played this hand ok, made a bigger bet on the turn as both of them called the flop and thought I could set up the pot/remaining stacks for a nice river shove. However not sure that maybe I could have worked out that the guy who called the river may have been on a draw and should have checked to induce a river bet by him. Luckily he was a complete fish and called my river bet with nothing haha.

Also, should I be checking the flop on a very dry board with no draws? As it is pretty unlikely that they have anything and they are probably both folding pretty often...

Unfortunately very first hand of the tournament so had no HUD. Did have a note on the first caller which was just that he had previously limped UTG on a full table with QQ - this made me think that he was a passive calling station but couldn't be sure.

Thanks Steve

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 12:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sjb958!

Due to raising preflop, I like the idea of leading here, as the opps will most likely not put us on the hand we have, but will put us on one pair or a c-bet with 2 overs. The problem is in the sizing of it. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in the hand, I need to bet 2/3 pot (180 chips).

On the turn, if I had made the 2/3 pot bet on the flop, this sets up an easy decision for me on the turn. A standard bet here is again 2/3 pot due to both opps still being in the hand, but since this bet now pot-commits me, I'm shoving the turn.

By betting large preflop, then much smaller than normal on the flop and a bit smaller than normal on the turn, this line is not going to look right to an observant opponent.
With a preflop raise, what hands could a 4 have helped to make a larger bet on the turn than the flop? 44? Well, with the nuts, 44 would check the turn and hope the opp hits a flush on the river... so there really isn't a hand available that makes sense for this line.
With this being the case, it's either going to be a bluff or a 'fancy play' with a monster hand and this early in a tournament, a thoughtful opp will not pay off the big hand.
When playing a hand, I want to take a consistent line with the hand, so that it is believable by all of the opps.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 12:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2012
Thanks for your reply John,

The reason for the smaller flop bet was that I felt that on that flop, the opponents would be more likely to fold to a bigger bet - I wanted to keep them in the hand. But in the future, and after reading your bet sizing post I understand that I must be consistent and bet 2/3 of the pot against 2 opponents.

Just a quick question, how do you decide/measure when you are pot committed? In simple terms, how do you decide/measure when you should be going all in (due to pot commitment) instead of making a standard bet. Knowing this will greatly help in my play. Finally with almost a lock hand wouldn't we be more likely to get more chips by betting a standard size instead of shipping, surely the pot commitment factor is less of an issue given how safe the board is? This is one thing I don't understand.

Thanks
Steve

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 12:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Steve!

A player is pot-committed when 1/3 of their remaining chips go into a pot. Due to this, if any standard bet makes me put 1/3 or more in.. I need to shove.

When playing, if I make an abnormal bet (non-shove) when I am pot-committed, this will be a big red flag to an observant opponent.

It will totally polarize my hand as it will be from one of two types of plays... either a clueless opponent that doesn't know any better.. or it will be from a monster hand just begging for action from a lesser player.

The other thing that shoving when I get pot-committed does is that I really should be doing this with my entire betting range, not just big hands, so it can make me get called lighter by observant and knowledgeable opps. For example, in your hand, with a std bet on the flop and a shove on the turn, this line is consistent with Jx or other pocket pairs, not just a full house... and due to this, I can get called lighter.

John (JWK24)

P.S. HERE is a video in the archive from Dave that is about commitment.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com