Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 Standard SNG, KK (Heads up stage), Push or call?

Old
$1.50 Standard SNG, KK (Heads up stage), Push or call? - Mon Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012

I am at the heads up stage of a standard $1.50 SNG with KK on the button. I do my standard min raise and get 3bet by my semi-passive opponent. I paused for quite a while at this point to work out my best move. Obviously Im not folding, but do I shove and risk him folding or call and let him hang himself post flop with such a big pot in the middle?

I guess the only problem with the second option is that if loads of over cards flop then he maybe inclined to check/fold. Looking back, I think this pre flop 3bet by the villain looks strong, especially given my opponents playing style and if I shoved I would be getting a call a large percentage of a time. Of course if he has aces then so be it, happy to take that chance.

By the way I had been playing pretty straight forward and had rarely (if at all) 3bet my opponent so far.

What do you think?
Steve

Old
Wed Sep 24, 2014, 11:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi sjb,

It's probably not a huge difference either way tbh. Since your read is that the opponent is passive, he doesn't rate to be 3-bet bluffing, so I would expect him to simply get it in to a 4-bet. Plus the sizing is huge for the situation, which also looks strong (although maybe just inexperience, it's a $1.50 game after all).

That being said, if ever a player will have a bluff frequency, it's heads up. My general line on these stacks would be to flat like you did simply to keep any/all light 3-bets in the pot and deny them a chance to fold pre. We have position, so if we leave him with the betting lead we should expect a very high frequency of c-bets into us (unless you have a different read), and once he makes any normal c-bet size, most of his stack will be in now and he won't be able to get away.

If the opponent doesn't c-bet much, or is really passive to the point where they don't have a 3b bluff range and might check/fold missed ace highs and pairs like 99 if an overcard comes, then it's better to simply get their "real hand" in preflop since we cooler all big hands save for AA.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com