Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 Standard SNG, 1010, JWK24 is this better?

Old
$1.50 Standard SNG, 1010, JWK24 is this better? - Mon Sep 22, 2014, 12:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012

Hi JWK24

Following on from the previous JJ hand, I feel that given what was discussed this as a result this the way I should have played a very similar hand?

Actually thinking about it, after boating up maybe a check is in order? To let the player catch up with his draw? I can't make a smaller bet here as I am already pot committed? So its either all in or check right?

This poker business isn't easy

Steve

Old
Mon Sep 22, 2014, 02:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Steve!

There's a reason poker's called a grind.

The preflop bet (standard raise) and flop bet (3/4 pot due to 3 opps) are totally standard.

On the turn, I do agree with your assessment that we have 2 options, shove or fold and if we bet, we have to shove due to being pot-committed.

What will determine my action here is a read on the opp (not provided). How likely are they to call the bet? Are they playing tight or loose?

If the opp is tight, especially if they're passive too, then I'm going to check and hope they make a better hand on the river before I shove.

If the opp is loose and likely to call, then I'm shoving the turn the majority of the time, but could also check and shove the river if the opp is aggressive (especially if they're known to bet most rivers).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com