Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How to win with 77?

Old
How to win with 77? - Tue Sep 23, 2014, 02:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
This is $11 Deep 10mins blind level satellite to $215 Sunday Warm-up. I am not guaranteed a seat yet so need some more chips like 140K to be on the safe side, which means I can't fold and wait for premiums.

Should I have 3-bet preflop?
Should I have raised his flop bet?
Should I have called his turn bet?

STATS :

Last edited by adikumar2010; Tue Sep 23, 2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old
Tue Sep 23, 2014, 07:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

To start off with... just because you get dealt a hand doesn't mean that it can always win. Hands, regardless of how good or bad they are, are always going to lose a given % of the time and we need to accept this and be able to deal with it.

With 77 and a raise from UTG, since the stacks are deep enough, I'm going to call here to setmine. This opp is not loose, so if we 3-bet, we can easily end up playing for all of our chips with a marginal-at-best hand and do we really want to do this.. NO. We have chips and while on the bubble position, we have a very playable stack, so I don't want to monkey off my stack preflop with a marginal hand.

The flop totally misses me and the opp leads out. Since I have nothing but a marginal 2nd pair, I need to muck on the flop. To call, I need to put 6100 into a pot that will be 27450 (22.2%). I have two outs, so my hand is only worth 4%.. so I expect to lose over 18% of my chips each and every time I call here. If it was close, I could think about maybe peeling a turn card, but not when I'm going to lose this high of a % on average.
I also don't want to raise here, as for the same reasoning as the flop, I don't want to throw all of my chips away with a marginal-at-best hand.

If I saw the turn, I now have maybe 6 outs (12%). Since their bet is way more than 12% of the pot, I cannot even consider calling here.

The key with this hand is to call preflop and muck on the flop.. some hands just aren't going to win. In a satty, chip position near the bubble is everything and I'm not risking it on what can very easily not be the best hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 24, 2014, 02:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
But he can be c-betting air hands thats miss like AQ, AJ, AT, Axs, QJ, JTs, 22, 66. I have 2nd pair on flop which can be the best hand many times. Why just fold on the flop?

Old
Wed Sep 24, 2014, 11:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

Tourneys, especially satellites around the bubble are all about chip preservation, not accumulation (unless you're extremely short and out of the top 9). I do not want to be putting my chip position at risk when I can easily be behind.

Unlike in a cash game, in a satellite, all I care about is staying in the top 9. If I'm not a decisive favorite, I don't want to be calling bets from another player. Here, it's a flip at best and if they have a king, I'm crushed, so it's not worth the risk.

In a standard MTT, I may peel a turn card as it's about trying to get a top 3 stack, but not near a satellite bubble when chip preservation is much more important.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com