Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Lost my stack on QQ

Old
Lost my stack on QQ - Fri Sep 26, 2014, 03:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Could I have played this different or was this just the way it goes, although I have gone out in 3 tournaments on pokertstars in the last 24 hours 2 of them I had KK and anded up facing AA then this. I thought it should be a rare occurance to face pairs like this but seems very regular on pokerstars.

Really looking to get some advice on these plays I had been card dead for ages in this torunament when this hand came along.

Old
Fri Sep 26, 2014, 05:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
Nothing wrong with going broke here. You had only like, what, 20 BB? I'm moving all in 100 out of 100 times here.

Old
Fri Sep 26, 2014, 01:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Not a problem with getting it in here, but the initial raise is TOO big. When playing, I want to make standard raises, not to raise more with better hands and less with marginal ones.

I'd have made a standard raise to either 3BB+1BB for each limper, or 2.5BB+1BB for each limper... whichever one I'm using (normally 2.5 at this blind level), so I'd raise to 420.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 07:02 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
A second time with QQ, think I need to stop playing them seems all I ever do is lose my stack with them. Where did I go wrong here??

Should I have checked when the K came on the turn, or should I have folded to the check raise??

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 07:15 AM
(#5)
I think check the turn. One pair isn't a massive hand with deep stacks and you have showdown value but with little chance to improve. I think removing a betting street is a good play and that is more important than someone drawing on you. One pair is almost always losing if you're raised on the turn, especially when it's no longer top pair. Maybe you sometimes catch semi bluff A7 type hands or smaller pockets but I think you're losing quite often. I think you played too big a pot with a marginal hand. The size of the turn bet means your pots odds will probably make it a call if he calls the turn and bets the flop.

Most of the hands you are beating (lower pockets which haven't tripled, AQ, AJ, AT) are unlikely to improve from seeing another card, but you may not get value on the turn when they think they have to call 2 bets. But you can't really get better hands to fold, of which there are more combinations.

If you're trying to price out draws, the bet size doesn't need to be as big.

Last edited by Fishwick; Mon Sep 29, 2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 07:56 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks for that Fishwick,

At least I didn't lose so much next time I got QQ.

Still think I will have to stop playing QQ

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 08:13 AM
(#7)
First hand: Betting the turn in position is not necessarily a bad move (calling usually is a sign of weakness, though this time your opponent was trapping), but yours was way too big and you absolutely have to fold to his raise. Your hand was nothing but a bluff catcher and we know that bluffs are rarely seen on microstakes.

Second hand: You did nothing wrong, really. You had good odds to find out if your hand was good. Your opponent could easily have tried to see the showdown cheaply with something like Tx, so...

Also, what do you mean, "will have to stop playing QQ"? You should by blissfully happy each time you see two queens in the pocket, man!

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 10:30 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In the first QQ hand... way too big of a bet on the flop. Way too big of a bet on the turn.

A standard bet against 1 opp is 1/2 pot. Players that overbet normally have strong hands (big pairs), so the opp that flops a set now knows exactly what you have, knows they are ahead and can totally exploit you.

Standard bets, over and over and over are a big key in playing NLHE. Betting more with better hands and less with worse ones will end up having you go broke against an observant player because they'll know whether they're ahead or not.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 10:31 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Second QQ hand.. fold on river.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 02:30 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Second QQ hand.. fold on river.

John (JWK24)
I don't see the point of calling the raise if you're folding the river.

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 02:32 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwick View Post
I don't see the point of calling the raise if you're folding the river.
We never called a raise. If there weren't 3 spades on the board along with the A, then I would call the river.. but not when Ax and a draw beats me.. it's basically their whole range.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 02:43 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
We never called a raise. If there weren't 3 spades on the board along with the A, then I would call the river.. but not when Ax and a draw beats me.. it's basically their whole range.

John (JWK24)
OK, when you said first and second you were talking about the second and third. No worries.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com