Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Strange hand, tough fold on flop.

Old
Strange hand, tough fold on flop. - Sat Sep 27, 2014, 03:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013

All players involved were fairly standard reg type players. I'm thinking I made a good fold here, but it was tough since there was only one hand I could really put villain 9 on that beats me (88). What really boggles my mind though, is what is villain 1 raise folding there?? He seemed the most passive of all of them. Hard to believe he'd be bluffing a flush draw there or folding a Q.

Old
Sat Sep 27, 2014, 01:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Demz,

Not sure about V6 being a standard reg, short stacking and opening for a tournament-type raise size from EP. But okay.

I think you made a decent fold here. I actually think V9 can have all the hands that beat you in his range except for Q8... 88, AQ, KQ are all hands that make sense to flat an EP opener preflop. After V1 puts in a healthy raise, and you cold call, it's clear you have a very strong hand, most likely a Q... and you have 88, AQ, KQ in your range as well. So now when villain flat/back raises like this, into not 1 but 2 players who have shown great strength, I tend to agree with your assessment that he's got a monster (if he's sane). He should expect action from at least one of you. If he does in fact have 88 then he's probably drooling at the prospect of you both having Qx. AQ or 88 are probable imo, so although we are pretty far up in our range here I think we can feel comfortable making an exploitative fold. wp imo.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 06:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Dave why do you think v9 can't have 88? I must be making a mistake because i have it, are you raising the 1st bet because 88 is vulnerable to Qx with an over card to our 8?

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 12:40 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Dave why do you think v9 can't have 88? I must be making a mistake because i have it, are you raising the 1st bet because 88 is vulnerable to Qx with an over card to our 8?
Read it again I don't think V9 will have Q8. AQ, KQ, 88 are all in his range.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 03:06 AM
(#5)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Supernova
I think you made a good laydown here. When villain 6 bets, villian 9 flats and villain 1 raises and you STILL call. From their point of view, your hand looks very strong and it must have the Queen at least. They think you are never folding hence the small raise. It would be a suicidal bluff for him to make and if he's somehow bluffing he still have equity against you as it's most likely a flush draw but I have a strong feeling he just has you beat with a full house or the better kicker. Good laydown in my opinion!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com