Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

100NL QQ 3bet from small blind faces big all-in OTF.

Old
100NL QQ 3bet from small blind faces big all-in OTF. - Sat Sep 27, 2014, 01:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Due to a recent somewhat large tournament score, I've been playing WAY outside of my usual comfort zone and BRM allowances for a bit of fun and excitement. And that's exactly what I got on this hand, lol.

Table history played a big role in this one, so I'll try to include everything including the previous hand.

Previous Hand:

Not much for reads on player 7 (4 hands) but likely a TAGish reg-type since this is the first hand I've seen him play out of 5 hands. Simple 3bet VS steal position and he folds.

My table image is a bit out of whack after 15 hands (though V7 would have only seen 4 of those, maybe a few more while waiting for BB). My PF stats are 40/40/40 even though my play had been fairly standard. Very next hand after the 3bet out of the BB I pull QQ in the SB and V7 opens again. V2 is a loose-passive fish that I had already won a few small pots from at this point. So, the question is, normally with only 4 hands on an opponent I think I would fold here (anyone disagree?), but given that this is the 2nd hand in a row where I RR him PF, and my somewhat maniacal table image should I be calling here?

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 12:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Demz,

If V7 is a tag I think we have a pretty easy fold. His raise sizing prelop is different than the cut off raise, and he's calling your largely sized 3b, so JJ and TT are very reasonable here. With the move all in on the flop, he is probably expecting the fish in the BB to call him, and the primary bluff (semi-bluff) hand here is KQ which we block as well, so this seems weighted towards strong made hands. Perhaps he's overplaying AJ sometimes, but TAG regs will tend to call in position with that hand strength and play the turn with more information, rather than mash all in. So on balance I think we can find a fold here.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 10:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
Yeah, I felt kinda sick after this one,and wasn't sure if I made the right decision. But with the 3bet on the previous hand, and V7 opening the very next hand and getting RRd again I felt that he might have been a bit tilted here. End result: I snap call, so does the fish, both opps have AJ. I do a little dance as this is the biggest single hand CG win I've ever seen . Still not too sure if I made a great play here or a terrible one, but they say luck favors the brave :P.

Last edited by DemzMahChipz; Mon Sep 29, 2014 at 01:12 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 02:44 PM
(#4)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Supernova
I would call here especially because of what you said about you already reraised someone in a short amount of time. You don't know enough about him to know he's tight. When you create an aggressive dynamic in such a short amount of time, players naturally assume you're aggressive or just want to get a little payback.

Also it's very conceivable that when you cbet and villain 2 calls, he can either semi bluff all-in with KQ type hand or 98 or just shove to protect the hand now w/ a hand like AJ. Logically, there isn't much reason for him to shove all-in here with top or middle set. He should want to get value out of those hands by raising the flop to say $30 or less so I say when he shoves all-in I discount the very top of his range some percentage of the time. The only 2pair hand is JT and even if he has that hand you still have about 30% equity vs that which isn't terrible. There's a lot of money in that pot because it's a reraised pot and 3way as well as a cbet and call. In my opinion, there's just too much in there for you to fold now.

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 11:25 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
Your 3b is too small. Make it $10.

Old
Sat Oct 04, 2014, 11:23 AM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Your 3b is too small. Make it $10.
Agreed, I misread the action as the opener coming in for instead of 3x in my original reply.

At least $9, and I like $10 being OOP.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 04, 2014, 11:30 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2012
@Randy, isn't QQ hand a really bad hand to call with considering our range? I'd much rather AA because then we don't block some hands he'll jam as a semi-bluff like Q9, KQ etc.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:21 AM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2012
Are people really bluffing here in the villains place? When strenght has been shown and the bluff will cost a lot of money?

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 05:02 AM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2013
Hi DemzMahChipz,

This post seems a bit old but I will post my opinion anyway :p

[Preflop]
Sizing was definitely too small, I would bet 10$ or 11$ in this situation, 8$ would be ok if you were ip though.

[Flop]
The cbet is fine, you could even consider making it slightly bigger as there is someone that looks like a fish and the board is fairly connected and your image is of an aggressive player.

When he shoves, I remove most of the sets combos from his range, because in my opinion, when you are holding a set in that situation you want to extract the most money possible from your opponents, so a raise would be much better than scaring TP and draws away, specially being ip.

That being said, I see his hand as a vulnerable hand that is afraid of playing future streets (AJ, JT) or a semibluff(KQ, Q9, 98), so I would definitely be calling here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlopes View Post
Are people really bluffing here in the villains place? When strenght has been shown and the bluff will cost a lot of money?

I don’t think the bluff is costing a lot here, there is a lot of money in the pot already, he will make some better hands fold and he still have some equity with his draws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemzMahChipz View Post
Yeah, I felt kinda sick after this one,and wasn't sure if I made the right decision. But with the 3bet on the previous hand, and V7 opening the very next hand and getting RRd again I felt that he might have been a bit tilted here. End result: I snap call, so does the fish, both opps have AJ. I do a little dance as this is the biggest single hand CG win I've ever seen . Still not too sure if I made a great play here or a terrible one, but they say luck favors the brave :P.
Just read this hahahahha, I thought I was weird for doing a little dance when I win a big pot, it is good to know I am not the only one hahaha.

Last edited by Matorzinho; Tue Oct 14, 2014 at 05:21 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com