10nl zoom : Problem extracting value OTR

Old
Question
10nl zoom : Problem extracting value OTR - Sun Sep 28, 2014, 11:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

Another day another problem
Slowly I try to understand and put in practice value extracting with made hands. And the following hand came up.
BB is 17/17 3b 0 (13 hands) 2 opportunities.
PokerStars - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: $10.00
SB: $10.05
BB: $24.50
Hero (UTG): $10.00
MP: $10.00
CO: $10.15

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has 9 9

Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to $0.90, Hero calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.85, 2 players) 4 3 9
BB bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

Turn: ($4.25, 2 players) 2
BB bets $2.07, Hero calls $2.07

River: ($8.39, 2 players) 2
BB checks, Hero bets $5.83 and is all-in, fold, fold

Obviously I am lost on the river as to where is value going to come from.
First of all calling a 3b with 99's in position against a deep stack seemed a good idea for set mine and implied odds.
For the whole hand, since he is doing the betting I see no reason to go over board, but now, in retrospect, I think shoving turn as re-raise would've been much better.
At the time of the hand I was coin-fliping between a tiny river bet or shove.

Would very much appreciate your opinions, as always.

Thanks and regards,
Shoim

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 06:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi shoim,

With implied odds, keep in mind his deep stack is not in play here, you are the effective stack with 100bb.

Since he's 3B out of the BB position vs an UTG open, when he had an option to just call and see a flop, I would expect his range to be strong here. So I favor raising directly on the flop with 2 hearts out, as overpairs may feel like they have to "protect their hand" from the flush draw. Calling seems better to me on a rainbow board since it's harder for them to put us on a draw (or hold a draw themselves) and go nuts.

As played, all in on the river is perfect. If he's checking an overpair it's with the intention to induce bluffs from busted flush draws, and his plan is to call.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 05:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey Dave,

Thanks.
The bet on the flop should be sized in order to prepare a turn shove ?
That is one question, and the other is : if I decide to re-raise the flop, wouldn't AK fold there ?
His check/fold on the river leads me to believe he hasn't started this hand with a big pair, rather AJs+.
Regards,
Shoim

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 10:06 AM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoim View Post
Hey Dave,

Thanks.
The bet on the flop should be sized in order to prepare a turn shove ?
That is one question, and the other is : if I decide to re-raise the flop, wouldn't AK fold there ?
His check/fold on the river leads me to believe he hasn't started this hand with a big pair, rather AJs+.
Regards,
Shoim
The bet on the flop should be sized to encourage action, so a small raise does this while helping grow the pot. AK might peel and overpairs might re-raise. Draws very well might bet/3b and we get them all in otf. If AK folds to a flop raise it's not a big deal, it's going to be good for you on your bluffs and semi-bluffs. AK, particularly with 1 heart, should not fold to a single raise. And then there's also the times to consider where he's got a hand like JJ which might reraise because of the draw, but get scared if overcards hit and slow down.

I am also doubtful he check/folded a big pair on the river. But it's possible he decided you wouldn't bluff your whole stack, or he had the nut flush draw and gave up because he missed.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 03:02 AM
(#5)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Supernova
I think it's fine to either raise the flop or call the flop with top set here. I think I like calling a bit better here because if he has an overpair there aren't that many bad cards that can come. He's probably not folding even if the flush comes in. If he's bluffing here or has AK you want to give him the chance to catch up or continue bluffing. The key important factor in slowplaying and calling the flop is that you are in position. Having position, you don't have to worry about him getting a free card on the turn because if he checks you can bet yourself if you decide to.

As played on the river, I would shove all-in here. You only have about half pot bet here so you can't really bet less here. If you bet less here you are just going to make less money when you do get paid off in the long run. Might as well go for the maximum. It's likely he just had nothing an was trying to bluff you on the flop and turn because most people would never fold the river here with an overpair as the flush draw on the flop still missed.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com