Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Ended with a flush but should I have played this differently

Old
Ended with a flush but should I have played this differently - Sun Sep 28, 2014, 12:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Ok played this hand and probably get told I shouldn't have played it.

This was the hand before the pocket the pocket 7's posted here.

Folded round to the hi jack position who limped, table was prone to a lot of limpers usually with really marginal hands. So raised to 8c to try and steal the blinds with a hand that was marginally playable post flop expecting the limper to fold as had been the norm.

However button called and limper also calls so 3 way to the flop. Flop 8h 4c 2h didn't really give me much to go with left me needing 2 to flush and 2 to straight. Play checked to me so checked hoping to get a free card, button checked

Turn came 6c giving me the flush draw and any 5 for the straight plus any queen would have given me top pair. Play checked round to me, I checked and so did the button so get another free card.

Should I have bet the turn with the draw or was the right play to take the free card and keep the pop small in case i missed?

River came Ac giving me 2nd nut flush with only the kingc if paired with a club a danger.

Pot only at 27c and original limper checked I made a pot sized bet of 26c should I have tried to over bet here to get more value but risk not getting any callers or was this bet sizing ok.

Button called, limper folded.

Button mucked Ad Tc.

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 01:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Muck preflop.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 01:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2014
Attempting to steal dead money (or at least isolate) from a limper who seems fishy is an ok play occasionally, I say. I like your not betting the flop with virtually no equity. I would try to take a shot at the pot on the turn though, after picking up a flush draw + gutshot. Your bet sizing on the river was fine I think. The button called your preflop raise so there was a good chance he had an ace. A pot-sized pot is often misread as a last, desperate attempt to win the pot.

E: But yeah, 95% of the time you just let this hand go preflop.

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 01:56 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Yeah agree as I said was a hand I wouldn't normally play, was just expecting to steal the money but as you will know the other players don't always go along with our plans

So take on board about folding preflop but then surely if I folded every marginal hand I would be just as readable on the hands I am likelty to play.
Hadn't thought about betting the turn with the flush draw and gut shot I had button the button on an Ace or king as he called pre flop so certainly expected him to be holding a playable hand. But was very much aware at the turn I was almost certainly behind and as the 6c on the turn would have screamed flush draw I would have expected the button to push back at that point to make the flush draw too expensive for me to continue.

As I say I have a lot to learn but its great being able to tap you guys expertise and input certainly raises points I need to improve in my play.

Old
Sun Sep 28, 2014, 03:13 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbo62 View Post

So take on board about folding preflop but then surely if I folded every marginal hand I would be just as readable on the hands I am likelty to play.
On microstakes you don't really have to worry about "being readable". Most serious players multitable so they don't have time studying thoroughly their opponents' moves. Their only source of information about other players is a poker tracker, if they have access to one. On microstakes you just want to head to the flop with the best of it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com