Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Straight Flush

Old
Straight Flush - Mon Sep 29, 2014, 10:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Played this hand earlier was a strange tableI know limping pre flop wasn't the correct play here.

But would like some comments on the post flop play.

Villian was in the big blind so had a very wide range, flop gave me the flush decided to hide my hand strength to try and keep some villians in play as I was out of position, unfortunately the hand checked round.

Led out with a small bet on the turn all folded except for the BB position and he raised, wasn't too sure what to do here as he was either on a straight trips or a smaller flush, however with the board paired a full house was possible too. I made a small raise which he called.

The river gaave me the straight flush at which point he made a 1/2 pot bet which I shoved.

Would appreciate some of your expert analysis here of where I could have played better.

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Muck preflop. A9s is not a strong enough hand to open-raise with from UTG and I do not want to open-limp basically EVER. Open-limping is one of the largest leaks that a player can have and is also one of the easiest to exploit.

If I did see post-flop play, I absolutely must make standard bets. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 4+ opps in the hand, I cannot bet less than a pot-sized bet.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
Don't limp but eighter bet or fold preflop. (A9s would be a fold for me)
OTF, I would be cbetting because I would be the aggessor in the hand.

As played:
OTF, checking is fine, hoping somebody has hit something and bets.
The raise on the turn by player6 looks really strong. I would just call it in stead of 3bet. If he has a str or a K-high flush(draw), you can extract nice value OTR. If he has you beat, you keep the pot smallish.

Player6 made a huge mistake not to 4bet you, I would be shoving your 3bet.

river is extremely lucky ofc you get it in here. Sure beats you but what are the odds...

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 11:21 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
Sure beats you but what are the odds...
In a raised pot, the only way an opp should show up with it is 66.. but in a limped pot preflop, the opps could literally have ATC, so it will show up more often than you might think it would.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 12:06 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Agree with you rkleefstra turn was bad play on my part if he had shoved to my cbet I would probably have had to fold assuming I was beat.

jwk yeah you are right about turning up with anything as he turned up with 4 2 off. Don't think he would have bet like that on the turn with 66 he would have to know a pair was beat. I is possible he could have had 6s and a 3 although I think that would have got a flop bet from him. although he didn't bet the flop with 2 pair.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com