Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

KK - Did I get value?

Old
KK - Did I get value? - Mon Sep 29, 2014, 04:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner
Villain 1 and 8 were a bit loose, V7 was tightish.

When bet to by V8, I 3X his bet to discourage flush draws from sticking around. Was this best line to take?

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 06:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
You don't want to discourage flush draws, you just want them to call with a bad price. By pot odds a bet of 23ish would give him the expressed odds he needs and 28ish will price him out (only taking the turn into account). With implied odds as well, it wouldn't be bad for him too call even your size of bet IMO.

However, I think sometimes people lose value by assigning the other person a flush draw any time 2 of one suit come out. It's far more likely he doesn't have a draw, in which case you're miles ahead and you want him to stick around not chase him off with a raise. However tempting it may be to make the pot win a certainty. Bear in mind that even if the flush comes there's still 6 FH outs and a quad.

This is slightly complicated by the presence of another player though. There is some value to taking the pot heads up but my preference would be to just call in position to give them a chance to bet into you again. It's far more likely a diamond doesn't come on the turn than it does but you give weaker hands a chance to catch up somewhat and get more in the pot. Maybe my opinion is influenced by seeing them fold though.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com