Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Beginner here... Played KK on BB pretty badly

Old
Beginner here... Played KK on BB pretty badly - Tue Sep 30, 2014, 01:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2014
Okay, so this is my first post here and I'm just starting to play poker for money. Micro Stakes. Decides to go to a SNG STT $1.10 buy in.

Played pretty tight, but I think I may not have been aggressive enough here. before and after the flop. I may be completely wrong though. Any advice? Should I have raised more pre flop to scare off a small pair or was raising 9xbb a good call with bad luck/play after the flop being what beat me?

I know it's pretty basic stuff probably for most of you, but I am still learning, so any help would be great!

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...203_CB343D7760

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 03:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey Malky,

Welcome to Pokerschoolonline. First, before the flop I think you played it aggressive enough. A standard raize is 3x BB + 1BB for every limper. Which means that your pre-flop raise is something between 350 and 400. However, if players a really loose, I might make it a little bit more (e.g. 450).

On the flop, I would just continue showing the agression of your pre-flop play. We don't want to give away a free card to the other 2 players, so I would just go all-in here (instead of checking). When player 4 hits a set is unfortunate, but that's part of the game. The fact that player 4 is calling such a re-raise with 66s pre-flop says more about him than you.

It's not a shame to ask questions! Everyone was a beginner once

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 07:29 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
Actually the standaard raise is 3BB + 1BB per limper + 1BB for being out of position, so 450 is perfect

You are the preflop aggresor (the one that did the final aggressive action), that means there is nothing wierd about betting when the flop comes and the only bet that make sence here is to shove. The pot is way too big to make a smaller bet.

If you are not the preflop aggressor, I would normally check and let the aggressor make his cbet.

The fact that player4 has you beat is of no importance. This happens. He would make the same call with a lot of other hands you do beat, so 66 is just one of the few hands that kills you.
As 95nix said, 66 is pretty weak to call a squeeze with as he didnt had the odds to setmine

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 10:41 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Malky!

Preflop with KK in the BB, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 350. (rk, the adding an extra BB for being OOP is more of a cash game strategy, not tourney, where I need to think about chip preservation too ).
I want to keep all of my bets standard, as this helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent... something that I need to avoid.

I see a 3-way flop with multiple draws available. I absolutely cannot check here. I need to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in the pot, a standard bet is 2/3 pot, so I will bet 967. If I bet less than this or check, I'm potentially giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I do so and end up losing the hand, it's my own fault that I lose.
BUT.. this bet creates a problem for me, as it's over 1/3 of my remaining chips. This means that if I make this bet, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold later in the hand. Due to this, I need to shove the flop!

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 12:47 PM
(#5)
Hi Malky87,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any of your comments or questions.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club, and information on how to join the club may be found HERE.

Hope to see you there!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2014
Awesome feedback and explanation guys!

I kinda thought the mistake was not making the first move post flop, as the pre-flop aggressor, and how aggressive to be. I got a lot more detail in the thought process as to why that would have been the correct move to make. Knowing the "why" behind it is what I'm hoping will help me in future situations. Maybe I'll have a look other people's hands in the forum to learn a bit more.

Again, thanks a lot for your input. Much appreciated!

Jamie

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 05:03 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Malky!

Preflop with KK in the BB, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 350. (rk, the adding an extra BB for being OOP is more of a cash game strategy, not tourney, where I need to think about chip preservation too ).
oops... I should learn to shut up in tourney hands

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 05:07 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Jamie,

HERE is a link to a blog that I wrote on bet sizes. I think it'll help.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 30, 2014, 05:09 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
oops... I should learn to shut up in tourney hands
We're all here to learn to be better players.... or at least should be. Keep putting your 2 cents in... it's how we learn.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com