Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

100 Deep - Awkward spot with QQ

Old
100 Deep - Awkward spot with QQ - Thu Oct 02, 2014, 03:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Poker Stars, $0.50/$1, $0.20 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $270.21 (270.2 bb)
BB: $317.62 (317.6 bb)
UTG: $100 (100 bb)
MP: $135.84 (135.8 bb)
CO: $412.98 (413 bb)
BTN: $295.08 (295.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Qs Qh
2 folds, CO raises to $4.70, BTN folds, Hero raises to $17, BB raises to $37, CO folds, Hero calls $20

Flop: ($79.90) 8d 7s 2d (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $31, Hero calls $31

Turn: ($141.90) 6d (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $67, Hero folds

Villain usually plays 1knl and has been seen playing as high as 5nkl. His sn is maxxmeister if anybody is familiar with him (i think he's a semifish at 1k but idk).

No stats but he's generally pretty loose and aggro. CO is a massive fish, so i'd assume regs would know i'd be isolating pretty wide.

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 04:58 PM
(#2)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Since: Jun 2010
Supernova
Hi!

To make this hand a bit less awkward, it's going to depend a lot on what was happening before this hand. If you were 3betting the CO a lot to isolate him and it's been quite obvious I would potentially expect the BB (maxx) to reraise you a bit lighter to stop you from isolating the player as much. If you haven't been isolating that much then I think we can make a safer assumption that maxx's range is stronger then.

Also, has maxx been playing any hands prior to this? If he's been very tight and hasn't played a hand in awhile it's quite possible he woke up with a hand however if you've guys have had some aggressive history it could mean he's doing this lighter.

Those are the things I would think about to determine how well your QQ does against his range here in this situation.

As played, I think you call preflop to the 4bet is fine and check/calling the flop is quite normal as well. The turn gets tricky because a lot of it is going to depend on how aggressive your dynamic has been. If you guys have been playing quite snug I wouldn't mind a fold here on the turn because if you're behind you have pretty much 2 outs usually, 1 of them brings a 4 flush board which is even worse for you. Another thing is you are out of position so it's a lot harder to react on the river.

If he's bluffing here with a hand like AK with a diamond or something similar like AJ with Ace of diamond, it's very likely that he won't be bluffing the river here if you call again because a lot of cards that roll off on the river improves your perceived range especially if you're 3betting light vs the CO giving you a wide range with hands even like 99, T9 etc. So he shouldn't be bluffing too often on the river like on another diamond, 9, 5, lots of cards. Also because he's 4betting you, he's perceived not to hold cards that would make a straight on this board so he shouldn't bluff those cards.

What I would determine is based on the history, do you think he's light here preflop a decent amount? Or has he just been playing snug and happened to wake up with an aggressive preflop play. If you are unsure, I would just fold because if you're behind your equity is tiny.

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 12:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Hey randy. Thanks a lot for your response.

Here's the sample I had:

VPIP: 37, PFR: 26, 3B: 10, 4B: 11.8, AF: 1.7, Hands: 525

He'd definitely been playing aggressively, but I figured even if he was bluffing he would have so much equity vs my hand that i'd be struggling to call any river except for a Q (of which you mentioned one of them being tainted).

I think I was perceived as a tighter player because I only bumhunt these stakes (i'm normally playing 100 reg).

I think stacking off pre here would be a mistake too (150-200bb probably very close).

Thanks again

Last edited by birdayy; Fri Oct 03, 2014 at 04:47 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com