Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Tournament in the SB

Old
Tournament in the SB - Thu Oct 02, 2014, 10:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
I know I will get told not to limp but this was a strange table with a lot of limpers but they stuck with any preflop raise. I had only played one hand upto this point, so decided rightly or wrongly to make the 1/2 BB call to see the flop.

After the flop I am OOP with 4 ops still to act and a flop that gives me top pair and OESD. I was at a loss what to do here as it was quiet possible one of the ops could alreay hold the straight.

I checked, it went round and a bet of 40 was made into a pot of 100 the 2 ops before me called the bet I also called and the op following me called so 5 ways to the turn.

Based on the previous betting I decided no one held the straight.

Turn was 5d in my opinion this probably helped no one but added a flush draw to the board. Decided to bet out, I know this was an incorrect sized bet I got it wrong and it probably should have been a pot sized bet with 4 OP's.

Two OP's folded and other two called.

River gave me the straight although anyone holding a ace had me beat, I decided I couldn't risk it checking round if I had the best hand so made a bet of 400 into a 780, OP's folded so was this bet too high.

Not sure I would have changed the pre flop play as it was either a 1/2 BB bet or fold with this hand, a raise would have made to large a pot to play with this hand.

Would really appreciate advice on the way I played post flop though as I was a little lost as to how best to approach it.

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 11:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Webbo62!

You're wrong.. I don't mind the limp here because I'm not open-limping.. I'm limping a hand with potential behind a number of players.

However, when I flop top pair and an OESD, I absolutely need to make a standard lead bet on the flop. With 4 opps in the pot, a standard bet is a pot-sized bet, so I will bet 100. I don't want to bet less or I'm giving the opps with draws to beat me, the correct odds to do so. If I do this and lose the hand, it's totally on me for making a bad play.

The same thing on the turn. I need to make a standard bet and with 4 opps, it's a pot-sized bet. I cannot bet less here. By doing so, the opps get the right odds and I deserve to and will lose chips on average.

On the river, I've got the bottom end of the straight, where Ax has the top end. I need to check here and try to get to showdown, as with 4 other opps that were in the hand, one most likely has an ace and due to this, I do not want to bet.
A smaller than standard bet here is a HUGE tell for a marginal hand (2 pair or a 9) and something that I absolutely need to avoid.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 11:16 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thanks for that,

Yeah was really at a loss on the flop as being out of position with a board that could have hit anyones range.

I also realised when looking at the hand afterwards that I had got the bet sizing wrong, I still struggle to find the time to assess everything and then make a decision in the time allowed,as a result I know I make errors on the bet sizing even when I know the correct rules for it. Hopefully I will get better at analsing the postion faster and be able to get the right bet in.

Also had a feeling I got the river bet wrong, only hands that would call that are straights and maybe two pair any any straight to ace had me beat.

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 11:19 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
What would you normally do on a table where there are multiple limpers that are very sticky, I know its an easy answer if you have a monster.

But if you are late position or in the blinds knowing that a raise will bloat the pot with no garantee that the hand will hit.

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 11:24 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Another question, if you raised on the flop would you then fold to any reraise that you got a re raise from behind?

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 11:32 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Having to lead a flop like this is why being OOP is such a huge disadvantage. We have to do it and we're not sure if we're ahead or behind.
If I'm going to check a flop like this.. then I shouldn't be in the hand to begin with and need to muck preflop.

When calling a raise out of the blinds, I need to be ready to lead just about ANY flop.... whether I hit or not. If I'm not willing to do this, then I need to raise or fold preflop.

With regard to a flop re-raise.. I'm basically never raising the flop.. I'm leading. if I did get raised, then I need to see if I have the odds to continue. If the raise gives me the correct pot odds, I'll call. If not, I need to fold.

If I'm on a table of serial limpers, then I'm playing more hands IN position and raising with the overwhelming majority of them. I will limp a small % behind, but I will continue to raise and punish the limpers. If I'm in position, then I've got the advantage, so having the pot be larger due to standard raises isn't a problem. Bloating the pot OOP, is what I want to avoid.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 02, 2014, 12:09 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbo62 View Post
What would you normally do on a table where there are multiple limpers that are very sticky, I know its an easy answer if you have a monster.

But if you are late position or in the blinds knowing that a raise will bloat the pot with no garantee that the hand will hit.
I'm limping behind a lot with hands with good potential, particularly if the opponents are sticky. When you do hit, some of those sticky opponents will pay you off. I do play them very carefully post flop, don't forget that all the opponents are playing wide ranges too.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com