Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl cash tabler, 63o in the BB

Old
2nl cash tabler, 63o in the BB - Fri Oct 03, 2014, 03:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Now first I would add I would not normally play 63o, however the pot was limped so took a free look at the flop.

flop came 3 4 2 giving me second pair and an inside straight draw.

OP bet 6c into the pot but based on table read I had this player on a Az or Kx, it was possible he had hit the flop too and his bet was on the high side compared to the pot. Due to this players previous plays I called even though odds were not correct.

Turn came the 5h giving me the straight but adding a flush draw to the board, knowing this player would call down all the way to showdown if he had hit anything on this flop even bottom pair I bet half pot.

The river came 4h which meant there were now a lot of hands ahed of me. any flush, any straight to the 7 and if he had been holding pocket pairs of 2,3,4 or 5.

The dilema I faced here was this player would call me even if he had a worse hand so wasn't sure whether to bet for value on the asumption I had the winning hand. Was still sure the op was on Ax or Kx so bet for 1/2 pot.

Was the call on the flop a bad call due to bad odds even though my read of the player made it feel as though it was worth the risk.

Op had Ac 4d so I was behind on the flop and he hit a set on the river.

If Op had raised preflop I would not have even been in the hand.

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 04:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
I would always make the call on the flop. Actually I think most of the time, you have the best hand in situations like this.

I like your donkbet OTT, you could make it bigger thou, like 75% pot, maybe even bigger. So many hands that you beat will call here, make them pay. Any ace , any set, any flushdraw, overpairs, etc etc are not going anywhere. Only 1 hand beats you (67).

River is not the best cart indeed, but taking xflixx's advise he often gives in GrindingItUp, you should go for thin value. Make a smallish bet, like you do, 33%pot - 50% pot. If you get shoved on, fold, but so many hands will just call you. overpairs, sets, 4x, any ace etc... even small flushes will often just call and not raise.

Last edited by rkleefstra; Fri Oct 03, 2014 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 04:07 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
BronzeStar
IMO - You had an element of surprise and I think I am not folding this hand on FLOP. I would do so on TURN if thats not 5. The Opp could have anything and I agree that I would never play this hand of there is a pre-flop raise. It is v difficult for opp to guess you on such cards.

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 04:39 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Certainly goes to show as JWK keeps drilling into me its bad to open limp. Op would have gained 3c instead of losing 32c if he had raised. I am gradually building my bankroll it now stands at $70, the cash tables are proving profitable but its slow at 0.01/0.02 stakes but need to get a lot better and build abigger bankroll before changing.
What would you say is the bankroll needed to move to the next level?

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 07:39 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbo62 View Post
Certainly goes to show as JWK keeps drilling into me its bad to open limp. Op would have gained 3c instead of losing 32c if he had raised. I am gradually building my bankroll it now stands at $70, the cash tables are proving profitable but its slow at 0.01/0.02 stakes but need to get a lot better and build abigger bankroll before changing.
What would you say is the bankroll needed to move to the next level?

There is a big difference between limping FIRST into an pot (BAD !) and limping AFTER several others have limped (not bad at all).

You need about 20 buyins to start at a stake. So for 5NL you need 20 * 100 * 0.05 = $100.

In my experience 5NL is not too much tougher than 2NL.
But at 5Nl:
- A little bit more 3betting preflop
- harder to get people call off huge pots. In 2NL you quite often have all-in situations, not so much in 5NL.
- less preflop maniac all-in shoves.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com