Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

5.50 deep stacks slow - shove against loose player on the bubble

Old
5.50 deep stacks slow - shove against loose player on the bubble - Fri Oct 03, 2014, 05:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hello,

The hand is from 5.50$ deep stacks slow. My position was 99th with 90 paied places and 110 left in the game. Did I make a mistake in this situation. I think the player from SB was very loose, but i have watched him only for 10 hands as I was moved from another table and this was my first play on this table.
Actually my intentions were to push him to fold and win the hand preflop.

Old
Fri Oct 03, 2014, 10:23 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi stoyan

In a virtual bubble 11-12 tables remain (1 bust each table). Even though not in a "cash spot" now, I'd like to preserve 20bb with low pocket 44. We don't need to risk it now. Some may go with 88+, I'm on the nit side here it has to be a premium QQ+ or specific read on a very loose villain.

Just my opinion. Others may disagree.

PS. I didn't look at the showdown before replying. You had the loose read but even so they wake up with AQ - and I think that's a bit loose, 20bb call.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Fri Oct 03, 2014 at 10:39 PM..

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 10:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi stoyan,

Given that it's a slow structure I think we can pass the 44 here, but there is certainly no huge problem with shoving a 20bb stack over a 3x open blind v blind.

You're right, we are looking for folds, not to play for stacks with 44 since the range that stacks off with us will be almost all flips and bigger pairs. So in order to make this play attractive to me I'd like to get a lot of folds to compensate for the times I'm at risk as a 4-1 dog. That means I'm looking for a villain who is A) opening a wide range and B) folding to our jam with a high frequency.

Without any reads yet (10 hands at the table) we really don't know the answers to A and B. A we can lean towards loose blind v blind, but it's just a somewhat uneducated guess. And B we have no idea. If the villain is going to raise/call with J8s for instance, then A is satisified (that indicates a pretty wide range) but B is not. The reason this still isn't any huge problem though is in that scenario, it means he's calling off with a much higher saturation of flips vs. overpairs, and also a few more dominated hands (like K3s for example).

In short, folding is tight but ok in a slow structure imo, and shoving is fine... it may increase our variance as it contains more unknowns, but we are not playing a large field MTT to try and min-cash, we are playing it to try and win, and that involves taking (smart) risks. This one isn't bad.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com