Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Big $8.80, Tournament, SB vs BB battle

Old
Big $8.80, Tournament, SB vs BB battle - Sun Oct 05, 2014, 03:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is Big $8.80, I face a stupid 41BB all-in 3-bet shove. What to do here?

Clearly he doesn't have AA KK QQ, otherwise he will cry for action.

If I exclude those hands and take the hands that I think he will do such action with are below and I am ahead of those range. It's just a question if I want to play 55-45 fav with 46BB stack.

STATS :

Old
Sun Oct 05, 2014, 06:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2013
[facepalm] fold we will be getting good spot than this later

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 11:41 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi adi,

I am not opposed to taking a 55-45 on a 46bb stack. In a slow structure I would tend to pass it, and in a fast one I would take it, but it's a matter of personal preference on how much variance you want to introduce to your game in terms of the slow structure.

All that being said, do I think we have a 55-45 here? No, not so much. The villain thus far has been tight, so I see no good reason to think he might shove small pairs rather than call 300 more on this depth of money. If you remove 22-88 from our ranging we become a dog to his shoving range. If you add back in some combos of KK and QQ at least it gets worse. What's an accurate range? I don't know, but crafting one favorable to 88 because it includes all smaller pockets seems ambitious to me. So I'd say our edge in this hand is at best undefined and at worst, negative. I would just fold here and move on.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 12:08 PM
(#4)
If you are saying 88's is a fold so does 99, TT & JJ are a fold here, am I right? Coz 88-JJ are all flipping vs his entire shove range !

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 12:15 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd call TT as it's in a true flip with the opp's range 88+,ATs+,KTs+,AQo+ (7% range in pokerstove). I'm using 7% due to the small number of hands.. in reality, it could be even tighter, as a player's 3-bet range is normally about half their PFR.

99 is a 56/43 dog, so I'd pass. 88 is a 60/40 dog, so it's a much easier fold.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 12:24 PM
(#6)
Thanks so only JJ+ is a call and AK also is a fold.

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 02:55 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
John said he would call TT as it's a flip (49.8% vs that range he used, but we have an overlay from the pot). So he's also calling AK since it has almost 4% more equity vs that range than TT does (thanks to dominating all non paired hands in that range and only being crushed by AA/KK).

Personally I like JJ+/AK at most. I'm not sure the guy is shoving KTs/KJs,

Here's the way I sort of look at this type of spot. Villain is probably not a good player since this overbet shove of 41bb's doesn't seem good to me with any holding. So what does this bet generally mean from a poor player when they have 40+ bb's and can very comfortably defend vs. your SB raise with a call in position? There are 2 most likely things imo:

1) They are an over aggressive LAG or maniac
2) They have a desire to end the hand right there.

The villain has done nothing in the course of our 40 hand sample to think #1 is happening, he's actually been quite tight. So I would consider what range poor & tightish players take this "end it right there" mentality with... TT-QQ, AK, AQ are the most likely candidates. AA/KK could even qualify if he's taken some beats recently (especially KK if he's had it cracked by A-rag a few times today).

JJ+/AK is the range that plays profitably vs. this if I run it against TT-QQ, AK, AQ, KK(3 combos... out of the 12 total combos of KK/AA). Add into the equation that we have a decent stack to protect as well, and we could err on the side of caution and toss the marginal favs (JJ/AK) and only call off QQ+. Stealing from the SB with a good frequency and only calling off this tight is obviously exploitable, but I don't think we are getting exploited by a tight/bad villain in this spot.

Hope this helps.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 03:11 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Stealing from the SB with a good frequency and only calling off this tight is obviously exploitable
I like this point you made, good statement. If they are re-stealing light that doesn't mean our stack off range will be just like a nit QQ+ & AK as if it's a normal hand played on a full table. But you are right he is a tight player will be playing hands like AQ AK 55-QQ like that which means I am flipping so in slow tournies we can avoid this flips with 43BB maybe if it was under 25BB that will be an okay call.

Old
Mon Oct 06, 2014, 03:31 PM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
But you are right he is a tight player will be playing hands like AQ AK 55-QQ like that which means I am flipping
Again, no. In case I wasn't clear enough, I don't think he's playing 55-99 like this. I don't think calling with 88 would be good here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com