Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL AA on the button

Old
2NL AA on the button - Sun Oct 05, 2014, 10:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Firstly there was a bit of history between me and the villian as when I first joined this table I noticed he was raising on my blinds every orbit so I had had to play back at him aggressively and it had cost him a reasonable amount, he had just reloaded his stack.

Villian_3 raised to 6c with villian_4 calling,
I 3bet to 18c I did think maybe it should have been higher as there were two OP's in at that point.
villian_3 4bet to 63c, villian_4 folded.
I 5bet to 120c and villian folded.

I would like advice on my bet sizing and whether I should have called the 4bet or if it is felt the 5bet was the correct play.

I chose 120 for the final bet as I felt that was a size that would make it really hard to call, it really left him with a fold or shove choice but would certainly appreciate the thoughts of the more experienced players.

Old
Sun Oct 05, 2014, 11:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Webbo62!

For me, with my initial raise, with multiple opps in the hand, I'd make it 21 cents (pot-sized raise).

When the opp raises to 63 cents... I'm shoving. The shove looks weaker and can get called easier. By not shoving, it screams so much strength that it can make the opp fold easier.. as it basically says to the opp, "I'm strong enough that I don't care what the flop is".

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 05, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
The reason I didn't shove was my stack was double the size of his by this point, so felt it may just scare him off if I shoved $4 into the pot, but you are probably right. But he folded to my bet anyway so its likely your assessment was much better than mine.

Old
Sun Oct 05, 2014, 11:38 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
How big my stack is to the opp's doesn't matter. What matters is the effective stack (smallest of the 2) and it's relation to the size of the pot.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 05, 2014, 12:04 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here are two videos that Dave did on SPR (stack to pot ratio)

SPR1

SPR2

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com