Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

QQ UTG +1 in tournament

Old
QQ UTG +1 in tournament - Tue Oct 07, 2014, 03:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Very first hand of the tournament so absolutely no reads on anyone at the table.

UTG open limps so I raise 3BB +1 to 80c and a call from MP, limper also calls 3 way to the flop. Flop came 9h 8s 8d so only hand that could be beating me was one holding an 8, but there were potential straight draws out there fo 10/J which was a likely holding. I bet pot sized bet I know this was technically higher than the 2/3 pot for 2 ops but wanted to try and fold out any Ax or Kx hands. MP folded, UTG limper called.

Turn came 2c and UTG led out with a pot sized bet, this is where I had my biggest dilema trying to range his hand, didn't belive he had the 8 although it was possible, he could have still been playing a draw but his bet sizing was big for a draw hand. I came to the conclusion he was either holding a 9 or pocket 2's but I felt a 9 was more likely. Looking at the hand in retrospect I sucpect a flat call would have been the best bet here but I felt at the time a call would have made it difficult to get my stack in and get a call on the river so raised, but didn't shove as I felt that might cause a 9x to fold out.

River came 3h and UTG led out with a tiny BB bet of 20 into a 4k pot, I shoved the rest of my stack.

villian was holding Js 2S so had lost his stack on a pair of 2's.

Old
Tue Oct 07, 2014, 04:41 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
its unlikely that he has an over pair to your QQ because he didn't 3 bet pre but is possible, also 99 is ahead of your queens as well as 8x.

I don't understand his donk bet on the turn. his 2 doesn't help him vs any hand that you bet for value on the flop. I guess he put you on two over cards if that is the case a smaller bet would protect his hand just as effectively. I would definitely note this player if you haven't already.

That being said I don't really understand your raise on the turn either. I think this is a way ahead or way behind spot and I am folding or shoving here. His line doesn't make a lot of sense so I am probably shoving here a ton. The only hand that makes sense as played is 22 I guess some players would play 9x this way but we have that hand in bad shape. if he was slow playing an eight on the flop I expect he would check raise and if he chose to just call with an eight why wouldn't he check it to you and see if you bet pot again? same with 99.

Was that the rebuy event? If so definitely makes my decision easier and just shoving turn.

Old
Tue Oct 07, 2014, 05:14 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
No this was 0.10+1 buy in $100 garanteed tournament.

I was fairly confident I was most likely ahead at this point .Yeah I did think about the shove but thought if he was playing only a pair, a 9 or a straight draw a shove would push him off the pot whilst the raise would allow me to get the stack in on the river.

Still playing the $100k Privilege freeroll rebuy event as I type this currently 441st with 1902 players left in and not used a rebuy so going fairly well at the moment.

Old
Tue Oct 07, 2014, 10:45 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Webbo62!

standard bets, standard bets, standard bets.

As long as this is NOT a league game....

On the flop, with 2 opps, a standard bet is 2/3 pot (180 chips). Betting more than this is a bet tell that players make with big hands, so any observant players watching this know you have an 8 or TT+ here.

On the turn, when the opp makes a pot-sized bet, I'm calling. Any raise pot-commits me, so I cannot fold later in the hand. I do not want to make an abnormal raise (another tell). Players that don't make standard raises are turning their cards face-up to observant opponents and this is something that I need to avoid.

The keys to this hand are to bet 180 on the flop and shove the turn.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 07, 2014, 10:55 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Wouldn't a shove on the turn have been a massive over bet though as if I had bet 2/3 on the flop the pot would have been lower and the ops pot sized bet would also have been lower.

So it would have been 630 after the flop, if op bets 630 into this I would be shoving 2740 into a 1260 pot which seems like a massive overbet but still trying to understand why a shove on the turn would have been the best play, as thats a callif that scenario had played out would have been less than 25% of my stack.

Also as it was the first hand of the tournament not sure they would have any read on me so don't think they could have known anything from the bet sizing.

Old
Tue Oct 07, 2014, 11:32 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If a standard bet pot-commits me and I want to bet, I have one and only one choice... shove.

Observant players take notes on every player that they are ever with in a tourney (so they can use them against the player in the future).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 12:09 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2012
The problem with calling here is that you might face a big bet on the river. I am pretty sure I am way ahead or way behind here so i like the shove.

There are many ways to play a hand so its hard to say which has the most value. John and I both have valid points its just my style is to shove or fold. Given his line i like the shove. Its harder to give an honest assessment when you show the entire hand so try to cut it off at the decision point.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 03:01 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Not sure how to cut it off at the decision point though.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com